Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:36 pm 

Hallo,

I'd like to return to my previous question: how would I detect patches that need to be applied to M$ Office? Currently I do not see that mbsacli can check on this.

I have written a small script in perl that parses the MBSA 2.0.1 output and emits SQL code that I insert in my inventory RDBMS. This works flawlessly since the olden days of winventory 0.84.

I have lately managed to switch to wsusscn2.cab per M$'s recommendations, and good luck there were no changes in the XML output (phew).

My inventory runs on a linux machine, so WSUS is not an option. I have samba as domain controller managing WXP clients which are regularly audited with audit.vbs and mbsacli.

Thanks for any suggestions or hints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:12 am 

Want to share your code?

I am currently still using hfnetchk but downloading and unpacking the mssecure_xxxx.cab before running hfnetchk.

I have rewritten the 'missing patches' code so that it works and added a 'View all Missing Patches" function to the 'Queries' list.

Computer Troubleshooters - Howick
Auckland
NZ

http://technologysolved.co.nz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:15 pm 

[quote="JonB"]Want to share your code?

I'm currently working on a "releasable" version of the MBSA parser. I have hacked winventory, making it hard to extract exactly what I did (plus I customized lots of other things to my needs).

Watch winpatchmgmt.sourceforge.net. Currently this is a standalone MBSA parser and script generator, not yet interfacing with an inventory RDBMS, but the next release will come soon.
The package is more or less the full MBSA parser as I use it, but it doesn't contain SQL yet. I plan to simply add a switch for doing so.

I'm still looking for the reason why I don't get office patches, although they _should_ be reported, as I take from an older answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:10 am 
Contributor

Are you using the Windows Update offline scan file with MBSA 2..0.1? more info on this here:

[url]http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx[/url]

A new version of the Windows Update offline scan file is available here:

[url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926464[/url]

[quote]If you use the MBSA 2.0 offline scan feature
You must download an updated version of MBSA and an updated version of the Windows Update stand-alone installer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:31 pm 

[quote="shanimal"]Are you using the Windows Update offline scan file with MBSA 2..0.1?

if you had read my post more carefully you would have found that my code is already on the mbsa 2.0.1 and wsusscn2.cab level.

still I don't get office update recommendations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:12 am 
Contributor

from MS

Q. Are there any restrictions on how the MBSA detection catalog (WSUSSCN2.CAB) can be used by non-Microsoft tools?

A. Not directly, but this file is supported when used in conjunction with the public Windows application programming interface (API) provided by Windows Update Agent. The API accepts this file only with a valid digital signature from Microsoft and uses it to perform a scan of the specified computer. Refer to the Windows Server Update Services Software Development Kit (SDK) for details.

I'm thinking that running perl scripts on linux probably doesn't use the public Windows application programming interface (API) provided by Windows Update Agent?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]