Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: rebooting machines
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:17 am 

When I run the audit, some dell 620's get a blue screen and continually reboot. After a while the script ends but the computer continually reboots. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: rebooting machines
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:56 am 

[quote="sirhcchris"]When I run the audit, some dell 620's get a blue screen and continually reboot. After a while the script ends but the computer continually reboots. Any ideas?

YES! its probably the device drivers for the NIC, and I have seen this before, so I am 99% certain this is the issue. (BTW you may find even attempting to Manage a computer using MMC and then browse the WMI is enough to blow the box out of the water, thats how I tripped over the issue.)

Go to the Dell Web site and get all the latest drivers for one of the boxes, instal them.

Then audit just that machine (cscript audit.vbs {machinename})

If it doesn't go foom(*) then do the rest.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Restau ... e_Universe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:20 am 

Is there any way to change this in the script? We have so many of these computers it would take a ton of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:39 am 

First off, have you confirmed this is the cause of the problem by updating the drivers on one or more of these machines.

Secondly, if this fixes things, the script is not the issue. The only fix is to fix the drivers, sorry.

BTW if it is the problem I had, then it can sometimes even throw a wobbler if you simply try to remotely manage the boxes concerned, from another windows box using the MMC, but this was not always repeatable, and caused a lot of head scratching.

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:58 am 

Sorry for the slow reply. I'm not sure if it was Windows updates that took care of it or what but the 620's can get audited just fine now. Just did a lab of about 30.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:28 am 

Never mind this post. FIgured it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:56 am 

[quote="sirhcchris"]Never mind this post. FIgured it out.

Just for the record, what was it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:40 am 

I didn't find out what fixed the 620's but I had posted a question about having to click OK for every computer but by doing CSCRIPT before the audit.vbs it worked just fine. A little confusing I know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:10 pm 

[quote="sirhcchris"]I didn't find out what fixed the 620's but I had posted a question about having to click OK for every computer but by doing CSCRIPT before the audit.vbs it worked just fine. A little confusing I know!

If the default scripting engine is wscript (and it nearly always is), then simply running audit.vbs will cause it to use windows interaction (and all of those annoying OK buttons will appear) if you run cscript audit.vbs then you will use the command line version, without the pop-up dialogs. (I thought that the script checked to see how it had been run, and then ran itself using cscript... but maybe that is wishfull thinking, I will have to check when I am back in the office on Monday).

Glad you have it all working now.

:lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]