Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: [solved] org contact
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:13 am 

I'm hoping someone knows how we are supposed to populate "Org Contact" on the location / owner details section for a computer. I can't find any way to populate it and I can't locate a matching field in any table in the database.

I tried to populate it manually so I could see the field name in the audit logs but if it has no text it can't be edited...

But what i really want is a way to add it via audit - i'm modifying the audit script and i am trying to work out the field name to use in the xml submission.

thanks!

Last edited by swilkey on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: [help] org contact
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:58 am 

The Owner field located in a systems Location/Owner Details page is not automatically populated. I was able to edit the field without problem. Are you getting an error?

You can also set the field by bulk editing systems. Select a group of systems. Check the Edit box for any systems you want to edit. Click the Edit button. Fill in the Owner field then click Submit. The selected systems should now have Owner defined.

This field is stored in the database in system.man_owner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:57 am 
Site Admin

What JPA said.

In addition you can get the Organisation's ID (view an Org and it's in the URL) and insert that into the audit script as org_id (on the command line or in the script itself). There is no facility to do this with contact_id, however if you inspect the script, it should be reasonably straight forward. Bear in mind if you do that, every device audited with that script will be assigned that same contact / org.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:21 pm 

Thanks for these helpful replies, but unfortunately none of them mention Org Contact, which is the specific field displayed in open-audit that I want to put data into but that I can't locate in any table in the open audit database. If anyone else knows I'd be grateful.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:19 pm 

I didn't mention "Org Contact" because such a thing does not exist (that I'm aware of.) So I mapped the question to the closest thing I could think of that fits on the "Location / Contact" page which is Owner. I guess that was wrong.

Did you set up and configure your Open Audit instance? Perhaps you added an "Additional Field" that displays on the page in question. Select Admin->Additional Fields->List Fields and see if you have an "Org Contact" field defined with "view_summary_location" placement. Perhaps a screenshot of the page and fields you're talking about if it's not an Additional Field.

I'm fairly certain that audit's can't write to Additional Fields. The Additional Fields storage in the database is a bit complicated as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:43 pm 

jpa, thanks for your clarification. I guess a picture would help. I haven't added any custom fields. This is what is present in my "out-of-box" installation:
[img]http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/download/file.php?mode=view&id=680&sid=bb57e3f3ecbd7d31f701c8f5942df8bd[/img]

You'll see it below org name and above parent org on the right.

your earlier comment asked if i was getting an error when trying to edit the field - you'll see there is no pencil next to that field, so you can't edit it.

Mark, in reply to your earlier comment, one of the things i'm trying to do here is to reproduce something my previous employer was doing with Microsoft SCCM. Once a month they had it pop up and ask the user to confirm their organisation details and these were stored in the registry. These were then picked up by SCCM and included in the audit data it collected.

I hope these additional details make my question make more sense for everyone. Thanks for all your replies so far.

Attachments:
orgcontact.png
orgcontact.png [ 17.05 KiB | Viewed 13432 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:08 am 

Woops! Screenshot helped and I'm totally wrong about the Org stuff not being there. So I reviewed the code and it looks like the Org detail fields only show up when you have an Organization selected. Organizations are added in the Admin->Organizations menu. So you'd define Org Contact, Parent Org and Comments at the Organization level and they would not be editable on an individual device.

It does not look like the Contact can be set in an organization. It looks like oa_org.contact_id is the field displayed. I've not reviewed the code (again!) but the Org page is probably missing code to edit this value.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:46 pm 

thanks jpa, that explains a lot. if that is the contact field in the oa_org table i would not expect it to be updatable from an audit as it belongs to the org in the org table and is joined to the system table based on the org that has been selected in the system table.

thanks for your advice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:07 pm 

Yes. Your screenshot does show that OpenAudit does not put the "edit" pencil next to the Org fields except the main org selector.

Maybe Mark will let us know if the Org Contact stuff is there and I'm just not seeing it.

I can also look myself. This is how I get into trouble as most times I guess without looking at the actual code. I think I should have a signature on all my posts that says "jpa doesn't really know what he's doing and just lucks into the correct answer sometimes." My answers are better when I actually read the code involved. Although I can still mess up when I do that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:40 am 

I've now looked and the database tables exist to do what you want but there is no interface to edit them. So if you really need this stuff I expect you'd need to contract Opmantek to get its development sped up.

If you can't wait you'll need to edit the database yourself. Contacts are stored in the oa_contact table and keyed on contact_id. Then oa_org can store this in its contact_id field.

Again, no management and no display. So probably not worth it. Call Opmantek.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:01 pm 

Thanks for your help and advice jpa.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]