Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:05 am 

Hello!

I'm new to Open-AudIT, but so far, so good! I'm running on 64bit Ubuntu Server 12.04.4. Everything seems to be working well.

I've been poking around with the settings via the web interface and have successfully scanned a few windows and linux machines. I'm ready to take the plunge and scan a subnet!

So, I did. I watched the logs for a while, and computers are starting to be found and complete their audits! Very cool! Unfortunately, after about 20 or so machines, I get this error:
Unable to connect to your database server using the provided settings.

Filename: core/Loader.php

Line Number: 346

Hmmm...

I checked on the server with htop, but I'm only using 250mb of RAM and 1/4 of the CPU. So, it's not being overloaded. Is there something else that could cause this error? I'll wait for a few hours to see if maybe it's just temporary scanning load bumping up against the PHP memory limit (set at 512, per the installation documentation).

Also, Debug mode for this scan is not turned on :)

Thanks! I'd be happy to provide more info as needed! Also, what are the minimum RAM requirements for an Open AudIT server? I'd like to scan from it and we have roughly 225 devices on our network.

Stead Halstead
Eugene, OR, USA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:07 am 

Further information! This is from the syslog:

Mar 13 15:51:21 openaudit kernel: [ 644.584211] Out of memory: Kill process 764 (mysqld) score 37 or sacrifice child
Mar 13 15:51:21 openaudit kernel: [ 644.584232] Killed process 764 (mysqld) total-vm:894476kB, anon-rss:29572kB, file-rss:0kB

I've seen the place to limit the domain scans to a certain number of processes/machines scanning. Is this possible on a subnet scan?

Thanks!

-Stead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting - yes it looks like you're running out of memory and the process is restarting.
I've not encountered this before.

I haven't really thought about limiting Discovery... Maybe I will need to ?!!?

I'd start by specifying a smaller subnet and see how you go. Don't forget just because your machines are in 192.168.1.0/24 doesn't mean you have to scan that particular complete subnet. You can also use (for example) 192.168.1.1-20 on the Discovery form.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:04 pm 

Thanks Mark! I'll probably focus on getting active directory scanning working, since that's the end goal. Using a mask to tighten up the subnet would work well though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, that's very good to know about being able to use the IP range on the scan form. Very cool! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:44 pm 

very nice of you Mr.steadhouse......

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]