Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:17 am 

OK. I've now replicated this. I think you're running the 32-bit version of cscript from c:\Windows\SysWOW64 rather than the 64-bit version from c:\Windows\System32. If you're just calling cscript without any path then your path search order is different than mine. What do you have in your PATH environment variable?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:43 pm 

[quote="jpa"]OK. I've now replicated this. I think you're running the 32-bit version of cscript from c:\Windows\SysWOW64 rather than the 64-bit version from c:\Windows\System32. If you're just calling cscript without any path then your path search order is different than mine. What do you have in your PATH environment variable?

Well, I just ran it on my system and checked the path using Process Explorer from Sysinternals and it is using the syswow64 path. (this when running the simple command 'cscript.exe audit_windows.vbs')

Interesting stuff.

I just manually specified the system32 path and it does work, pulling the 64bit info as it should, just as you suggested.

Yeesh, is this stuff fun or what? Thanks a bunch for the help. That'll answer that question. Now I'll just specify c:\windows\system32\cscript.exe specifically, as all machines will have it in that path, and it should function correctly for all machines from that path (whether XP, 7, 32-bit, or 64-bit).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:37 am 

What you're seeing is not the default behavior which is why we haven't seen this before. Mark could add a check and error out if the script is running under the SysWOW64 32-bit cscript.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:38 am 

[quote="jpa"]What you're seeing is not the default behavior which is why we haven't seen this before. Mark could add a check and error out if the script is running under the SysWOW64 32-bit cscript.

Not the default behavior of Windows? Is that what you mean?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:23 am 

Yes, I don't think 64-bit Windows runs the 32-bit stuff in SysWOW64 by default. I could be wrong.

The audit script could be more robust and handle your situation. Something [url=http://blogs.msdn.com/b/joshpoley/archive/2008/09/18/running-32bit-dependent-scripts-in-a-64bit-world.aspx]like this[/url].

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:50 am 

[quote="Mark"][quote]Hopefully not a stupid question, but would this be done at the audit level, or at the server level?

Never a stupid question. This occurs at the server level (when processing the submitted audit).
The audit script should just retrieve details - no formatting or processing logic should be applied at the script level.

I should've asked a while ago, but where would I make this change?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:42 am 

This change would be major work in the "add a system" related components. You'd need to understand how OpenAudit processes the audit data and adds a system to make this change.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3