Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:03 pm 

How do I start auditing the Windows and Linux clients from the Linux OA and OAV2 servers. I want to try out bot the versions. Can anybody point me to this information please?

Can I have a base inventory of hardware and software say today, and track changes to h/w and s/w
in future comparing with this base inventory? Is this feature available? if it is, then in OA or OAV2?

Regards,
Deepak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

To audit Windows clients, you need to run the audit script on a Windows machine.
IE - If you want to run a domain audit -

1 - copy both the audit_domain.vbs and audit_windows.vbs to a Windows machine.
2 - Make sure you are logged onto that machine with an account that has Local Admin on all machines you wish to audit (usually a Domain Admin account is the easiest way to do this).
3 - Edit both audit_domain.vbs and audit_windows.vbs so they match your configuration (samples below).
4 - run the domain audit by changing into the directory containg the scripts and "cscript audit_domain.vbs".

Sample config's.
Audit Domain
number_of_audits = 5 <- the number of concurrent audits run by your audit host (the machine you typed "cscript audit_domain.vbs" on).
audit_run_type = "local" <- just keep it to local initially. More network traffic, but the script is more tested.
script_name = "c:\temp\audit_windows.vbs" <- set it to the location of your audit script. Do not use paths such as \\machinename\temp\audit.vbs. A local path is recommended.
local_domain = "LDAP://DC=your,DC=active,DC=directory,DC=name" <- the full path/version, not the shortened version.
operating_system = "Windows" <- leave as Windows to audit all Windows machines. You can filter on Server or some other Operating System name if you like.

Audit Windows
url = "http://Open-AudIT-HOST-SYSTEM/index.php/system" <- really this is the only config needed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:28 am 

Mark Thank you. How much time it may take to set up audit of 100 Windows machines in a single domain? Is there any automation through any scripts? I see that there is the domain scripts.. which may be automating the configuration of all the desk tops in the domain. I am talking of setting up the audit not audit time..

Regards,
Deepak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

If the 100 workstations in the domain are all that is in the domain - maybe 2 minutes to edit the files as detailed above.

If they are 100 specific workstations (versus the complete domain), take a look at the audit_list.vbs script. If you have the list of 100 machines, a quick bit of text find/replace and you can put them into that script.
Stick them into the pc_array = array ( "COMPUTERNAME1", "COMPUTERNAME2") variable.
The other variables should be set, as the previous post above.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]