Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:39 am 

I am looking to use open audit on 1500 Windows 7 desktops , each with 2 scanners 1 Web cam a printer. All are USB devices . All peripherals will be same make and model. But later different make and models of peripherals will be added

I am aiming at the following

Hardware:-

1. Check every day that the physical desktop is the same.( Can be done by comparing the MAC address etc)
2. Check every day the USB peripherals like scanners, Printer, Camera connected to each of the 1500 desktops and make sure that the same make or model of the peripheral is available.
3. If any change in the model or make, then it has to be recorded.
4. Check if peripherals are on line for all 1500 desktops every 4 hrs, and if off line, store the information.
5.The error information in points 2,3,4 above to be stored in database.

Questions
1.Is point no. 5 above possible with open audit?
2.Can it scale to 1500 desktops and around 5000 peripherals?
3. Similarly I wanted to have a base software list of all the 5000 servres and report any additions or deletions or version changes of the base software list later. Is it doable?
4. I think Postgres SQL 8.4 is not supported. Any idea on how much efforts will be required so that the db can be exported to Postgres 8.4 and also the reports and queries fetch correct results from Postgres 8.4?
5. I see that it works on Ubuntu server 10.1 as stated by Mark. By any chance has it been tested on Suse Linux? SLES11 or Open Suse 11.4?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Deepak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:27 am 
Site Admin

Well - I'll reply based on using OAv2 (not Open-AudIT).

1 - yes
2 - yes
3 - yes
4 - on it's way (along with SQL Server support)
5 - yes (it's only dependencies are PHP and (probably) MySQL at this stage. Webserver can be anything (Apache, IIS, Cherokee, etc), server hosting the site can be any OS).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:21 pm 

Mark,
Thanks again for the quick response. I had seen your blogs and see that OAv2 is under Beta version , which will have some issues and it may not be yet suitable for production. Has anybody deployed it in the lab or production?

For OAv2 or OA is there any way to reduce the network traffic? I see that OA requires 256k per server. So 5000 devices will consume a lot of bandwidth. I do not need so many reports. One way is to disable some of the reports. I do not know if it can be done easily throug GUI or do we have to modify the code for that?

Excuse me for the newbie questions.

Thanks

Deepak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:14 am 
Site Admin

256k per audited machine...
I am assuming you mean the size of the audit script.
Actual traffic will be more than this.
If you do a domain audit with (I think - no code in front of me) remote set to N (as per default) the traffic will likely be a lot larger due to WMI remotely querying the audited systems. If you set remote to Y, it will copy audit_windows.vbs to each remote system, then start a process on that remote system and move on to the next, without waiting for a result. The remote system will then audit itself and submit the results - so 256k + audit result (whatever that is).

So, you have two options on how to complete audits - both generate more traffic than just the audit script size. There is no way to avoid this.

FWIW - I use OAv2 at my work and we have ~5,000 systems in it (not including printers and routers, switches, etc).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:44 pm 

Mark,
Thanks again. I am sure you will have reasons to copy the script every time on the remote desk tops from the OA server. Can the script be kept permanently on the desktops and not copied from the server every time? For new servers it can be done one time. Or before copying on the remote desktops, the scripts can check for the existence of the script, and does not copy if exists.

Some such approach will save lot of bandwidth consumption.

Regards,
Deepak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:42 pm 

Mark,

Oav2 Beta release 4 is successfully installed on Ubuntu server 9.10. It just worked as per your instructions and populated with some dummy data too. Is this the version you are using for the 5000 desktops?

I tried installing the Oav2 on Suse Linux 11 and Windows xp . But it hasnt worked. Need to do some debugging. I was able to insall OA on theXp box but on the Suse box it hung while creatting the database.( I could connect to the database from the command mode though, guess some portion of the software is missing)

Thanls,
Deepak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

I use a version newer than whatever is available for download.
I use whatever is in my current code tree. Dog food.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_your_own_dog_food

My current stats look like this (although they are a bit behind).

[code]<stats>
<id>bf228eb864a201b8ac56253addacdc97</id>
<stat>
<os_family><name>Windows 2000</name><count>11</count></os_family>
<os_family><name>Windows 2003</name><count>227</count></os_family>
<os_family><name>Windows 2008</name><count>67</count></os_family>
<os_family><name>Windows 7</name><count>47</count></os_family>
<os_family><name>Windows XP</name><count>4491</count></os_family>
</stat>
</stats>[/code]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:49 am 

Mark,

The dog food article is interesting. And good to know that you are adopting the same strategy.

Is there any documentation or notes available on the software design and flow preferably for OV2 beta4 or an earlier version? I will need to tweek it as per the requirements.

Deepak

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]