Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: beta4 is out the door!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Improved SQL detection (think SSRS, SSAS, SSIS detection).
Better performance when determining group members.
Ajax list details pop ups working again.

[url]https://launchpad.net/oav2/trunk/beta4[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:10 am 

Mostly works. Audit_domain.vbs didn't survive your de-customizing or something like that.

[code]
--- D:/Download/Network Management/OpenAudit/OAV2/OAv2_beta_4/other/audit_domain.vbs Tue Oct 18 20:19:16 2011
+++ D:/Download/Network Management/OpenAudit/OAV2/OAv2_beta_4/other/audit_domain_new.vbs Tue Oct 18 16:05:37 2011
@@ -19,10 +19,12 @@
operating_system = "Windows 7"
operating_system = "Windows XP"
operating_system = "Windows"
+operating_system = ""

' if set, create an output file of all retrieved systems from active directory
output_file = ""

+Set objArgs = WScript.Arguments
For Each strArg in objArgs
if instr(strArg, "=") then
varArray = split(strArg, "=")
@@ -89,7 +91,7 @@
do until objrecordset.eof
strcomputer = objrecordset.fields("name").value
computer_os = objrecordset.fields("operatingSystem").value
- if ()((len(operating_system) > 0) AND (instr(computer_os, operating_system) > 0)) OR (len(operating_system) = 0))then
+ if (((len(operating_system) > 0) AND (instr(computer_os, operating_system) > 0)) OR (len(operating_system) = 0))then
pc_array(count) = strcomputer ' feed computers into array
count = count + 1
end if
@@ -127,7 +129,7 @@
wscript.echo("processes running: " & num_running)
wscript.echo("next system: " & pc_array(i))
wscript.echo("--------------")
- command1 = "cscript //nologo " & script_name & " " & pc_array(i)
+ command1 = "cscript //nologo """ & script_name & """ " & pc_array(i)
set sh1=wscript.createobject("wscript.shell")
sh1.run command1, 6, false
set sh1 = nothing
[/code]

By the way, this version of BBCode eats line spaces so the above diff doesn't work. But you get the idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:57 pm 

its not a big deal, but somehow it drives me crazy.. is that "overlapping" of the navigation areas (in chrome, firefox and ie9 - not beta4 specific, it was there since alpha versions) intended?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

@JPA - I've re-uploaded beta4 with the fix.

@snue - Can you post a screenshot and point out what you don't like? I like it, but maybe I don't see what you see...

FYI - Apologies about the constant bad releases. I don't have any windows machines at home to test with and I tend to make some changes before each release (when at home). I'm about to setup a tiny virtualised Windows network (AD controller + a single PC) so I can at least test the basic stuff before a release. It's mainly VBScript related stuff i can't check - at the moment. Again, apologies and I hope to do better shortly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:16 pm 

How can I scan network printers?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:26 am 
Helper

Mark,
You mentioned earlier:
[quote]I need a schema change because there are multiple warranties per system. A simple couple of columns in the system table will not suffice. Yes an upgrade script will be provided as before.

Did that make it into Beta 4? I'm asking from a schema point of view since I don't have any Dell warranties to worry about!
Thanks,
John

4 Windows 2003 Servers
20 Windows XP workstations
1 Windows 7 workstation
2 Ubuntu 11.10 servers
Misc other networked items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:47 am 

Okay,
really dumb question but how do i run the domain audit? My OA server is a Linux box and I am running the older version in it just fine. Is there a place to run the audit from the web interface? Do i have to call the .vbs script from the OA server and point it to a windows box to run the audit?

Thanks,
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:00 am 

Schema change for warranty made it into beta 4 but I don't see anything beyond that other than some test stuff.

Can't help with the auditing from a Linux box but I do know OAv2 doesn't have web based audit config like version 1 does.

I've yet to try the new local/remote domain audit stuff but while looking over the audit_domain script over I noticed CheckForHungWMI doesn't do anything and auditing doesn't work for us losers with spaces in our path names.

[code]--- D:/Download/Network Management/OpenAudit/OAV2/OAv2_beta_4/other/audit_domain.vbs Wed Oct 19 21:53:00 2011
+++ D:/Download/Network Management/OpenAudit/OAV2/OAv2_beta_4/other/audit_domain_dev.vbs Wed Oct 19 09:49:27 2011
@@ -22,6 +22,9 @@
' the name and path of the audit script to use
script_name = "c:\xampplite\OAv2\other\audit_windows.vbs"

+' the name and path of the psexec executable
+psexec = "c:\xampplite\OAv2\other\bin\psexec.exe"
+
' set the below to your active directory domain
local_domain = "LDAP://your.domain.org"

@@ -156,7 +159,7 @@
wscript.echo("processes running: " & num_running)
wscript.echo("next system: " & pc_array(i))
wscript.echo("--------------")
- command1 = "cscript //nologo " & script_name & " " & pc_array(i)
+ command1 = "cscript //nologo """ & script_name & """ " & pc_array(i)
set sh1=wscript.createobject("wscript.shell")
sh1.run command1, 6, false
set sh1 = nothing
@@ -183,7 +186,7 @@
remote_location = "\\"& pc_array(i) & "\admin$\"
wscript.echo "Copying to: " & remote_location
on error resume next
- objFSO.CopyFile "c:\xampplite\OAv2\other\audit_windows.vbs", remote_location, True
+ objFSO.CopyFile script_name, remote_location, True
'objFSO.CopyFile "c:\xampplite\OAv2\other\bin\RMTSHARE.EXE", remote_location, True
error_returned = Err.Number
error_description = Err.Description
@@ -198,7 +201,7 @@
Set Command = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
' note - specify -d on the command below to run in non-interactive mode (locally)
' if you specify -d you will see command windows of the remote processes
- cmd = "c:\xampplite\OAv2\other\bin\psexec.exe \\" & pc_array(i) & " -u " & remote_user & " -p " & remote_password & " -d cscript.exe " & remote_location & "audit_windows.vbs self_delete=y "
+ cmd = psexec & " \\" & pc_array(i) & " -u " & remote_user & " -p " & remote_password & " -d cscript.exe " & remote_location & "audit_windows.vbs self_delete=y "
'wscript.echo "Running command: " & cmd
on error resume next
Command.Run (cmd)
@@ -255,7 +258,7 @@
if objProcess.Name = "cscript.exe" then
' Look for audit.vbs processes with the //Nologo cmd line option.
' NOTE: The //Nologo cmd line option should NOT be used to start the initial audit, or it will kill itself off after script_timeout seconds
- if InStr(objProcess.CommandLine, "//Nologo") and InStr(objProcess.CommandLine, "audit.vbs") then
+ if InStr(objProcess.CommandLine, "//Nologo") and InStr(objProcess.CommandLine, script_name) then
' The command line looks something like this: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe" //Nologo audit.vbs COMPUTERNAME
' Get the position of audit.vbs in the command line, and add 10 to get to the start of the workstation name
position = InStr(objProcess.CommandLine, "audit.vbs") + 10
[/code]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:09 am 

Our current OA linux box calls the script from a Windows 7 computer to run the script but I don't really see or understand how to audit with the new version of OA. It just doesn't seem that easy to audit with or I am not finding the correct documentation on how to audit with beta4. I do like the interface and other options but just don't know how to audit my domain. If someone can point me in the right direction for auditing with beta4 then that would be fantastic.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:25 am 

[quote="ajmorris"]Our current OA linux box calls the script from a Windows 7 computer to run the script...
I'm not really sure what this means but why don't you pretend you don't have a Linux box? Copy the "other" directory from the distribution to a Windows box, edit the audit_windows.vbs and audit_domain.vbs files as appropriate and schedule a task the audit_domain.vbs file to run as a user with sufficient rights to remotely audit the domain machines.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:43 am 

I have done that and is there a way to not get all the windows to pop up? And I don't see where I tell it what server to post to?

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:45 am 

nevermind, i found the settings...will try again..
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:01 am 

[quote="ajmorris"]...is there a way to not get all the windows to pop up?
I think you could set the task that runs the audit_domain script to run under an account that isn't logged on to the desktop and you won't see the running audit windows.

If you don't want to do that you could change the line that runs the audit scripts so it doesn't show the windows.

Find and change from [code]
sh1.run command1, 6, false[/code]
to
[code]
sh1.run command1, 0, false[/code]
Haven't tested this myself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:15 pm 

Audit my machine Windows 2008 and others Windows 7 fails:
[code]
Software info
Software for 64bit
C:\xampplite\OAv2\other\audit_windows.vbs(2134, 5) Microsoft VBScript - błąd czasu wykonywania: Indeks poza zakresem: '[number: 1]'[/code]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:04 pm 

[quote="Mark"]
@snue - Can you post a screenshot and point out what you don't like? I like it, but maybe I don't see what you see...

that overlapping.. maybe its just me, but i dont see the point of it. it only makes a mess of the navigation bars and i have to wait ~100ms for it to clean up and show the actual categories. and, at least my opinion, it doesnt look very good either. but if its just me, i think i can handle it ;) as i said.. its minor, but keeps bugging me.

and sorry (again) for my english and i hope i dont sound rude or overly critical, i love open audit and you make an insanely good job!

Attachments:
overlap2.png
overlap2.png [ 23.07 KiB | Viewed 18711 times ]
overlap.png
overlap.png [ 30.08 KiB | Viewed 18711 times ]
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next