Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: OAv2 audit script
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone interested in helping me test the new audit script ?
It isn't quite finished, and it's "local" only (no remote audits).

Missing bits are-
SHARES - get rmtshare.exe from OA server, if needed (rmtshare.exe is a free download from MS that enables retrieval of share permissions).
USB Attached Devices
SCSI Devices
Tape Information
Floppy Drives
Keyboard Information
Battery Information
Modem Information
Mouse Information
Printer Information

code is attached.
Rename to audit_windows.vbs, then run with cscript audit_windows.vbs
It should produce a text file in the same directory.

Attachments:
File comment: audit script
audit_windows.txt [106.06 KiB]
Downloaded 729 times

Last edited by Mark on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Updated script based on feedback from JayDee
 Post subject: Re: OAv2 audit script
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:49 pm 

Works for me...

If you want a copy of the output, let me know and I'll audit my laptop in the house. (Too much confidential info on the corporate PC).

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:50 pm 

BTW Cant you sleep?
:twisted:

OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

No need for me to have a copy.
Just have a look through it and see if it looks OK.
And I posted that at 3pm local time...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:23 pm 

[quote="Mark"]....
And I posted that at 3pm local time...

... hmmmm maybe thats why I keep waking up my brother in Melbourne at 3 in the morning... :twisted:

The output looks OK, If I get a chance, I'll audit a virtual box and send the results if you want...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:56 pm 
Helper

Mark,
Tried it on a couple of XP-SP2 boxes. Ran OK but the "Software Info" and/or the ".NET Assembly info" sections took a long time on one box at 90%+ CPU. Not sure if the message is before or after the section in question.
One buglet. The output file, <system_variables> section, was putting out closing markers of <variable_name> and <variable_value> instead of the preceding slash - </variable_name> - and so on.
I'll try it on some W2K3 servers later if I get a chance.

EDIT 14:35 EDT - Ran OK on W2K3 and W2K3 R2
John

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:28 am 
Site Admin

Thanks John. Yep, the .NET info does chew up time and CPU. If you comment it out, you'll find it's heaps quicker. I do intend on leaving it in, but I also intend on providing a system to select the sections you want to create a customised audit script.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:42 am 
Helper

Trying the latest audit_windows.vbs in the OAv2 Alpha release, it crashes when running on a Windows 7 Enterprise box at line 1234 - really!

This the the BHO section and lines 1233 & 1234 read
[code]if (system_os_full_name <> "Microsoft Windows 95" AND system_os_full_name <> "Microsoft Windows 98") then
set objWMIService_IE = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2\Applications\MicrosoftIE")[/code]

If I comment out this section the rest of the script runs fine and the whole thing works OK on Win XP boxes. Sadly I'm no WMI expert - anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks,
John

4 Windows 2003 Servers
20 Windows XP workstations
1 Windows 7 workstation
2 Ubuntu 11.10 servers
Misc other networked items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:23 am 

Found another crash problem with the audit script.

For writing the audit result output file I had to set the format argument of OpenTextFile to -1. I was getting an "Invalid procedure call or argument" crash.

This is likely due to garbage characters in the audit result caused by [url=http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3436]this problem[/url].

Other than that the audit worked on my first test system. I'll audit more machines and see what I get.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:05 am 

It also seems the audit script crashes when windows (7 pro in this case) reports a memory card reader which the audit sees as a hard disk and it has null space in an integer field

LDAP: Active Directory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:07 am 

[quote]Trying the latest audit_windows.vbs in the OAv2 Alpha release, it crashes when running on a Windows 7 Enterprise box at line 1234 - really!

JayDee I think the issue here is the WMI class for IE in windows 7. I had the same issue and use WMIExplorer and couldn't find the WMI class that the audit was trying to use causing it to return an error

LDAP: Active Directory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:29 am 
Site Admin

[quote="jpa"]Found another crash problem with the audit script.

For writing the audit result output file I had to set the format argument of OpenTextFile to -1. I was getting an "Invalid procedure call or argument" crash.

This is likely due to garbage characters in the audit result caused by [url=http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3436]this problem[/url].

Other than that the audit worked on my first test system. I'll audit more machines and see what I get.

I just had a read through that link. Damn. Not sure how to fix this. One thought though - in OAv2, the end goal is to have the audit script run locally on the machine being audited. Not (as in Open-AudIT), run from a remtoe computer. I plan to do this by using either PSEXEC (on the Windows side) or winexe (on the Linux side). Basically, it would connect to the remote PC, copy the audit script to it, setup a scheduled task (for say 1 minute's time) and then run the audit script on itself. Combine the fix mentioned in the thread (which only works locally) and I think we would have a fix. Only problem is I haven't coded the remote scripting stuff yet... and it wouldn't work from remote audits (even though I don't plan to use them).

More thought needed. Thanks though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:30 am 
Site Admin

[quote="iamonlyafigment"]It also seems the audit script crashes when windows (7 pro in this case) reports a memory card reader which the audit sees as a hard disk and it has null space in an integer field

So, with this and the software issue, we need to work out what to do with NULL values returned... Thanks again for the feedback - much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:30 am 
Site Admin

[quote="iamonlyafigment"][quote]Trying the latest audit_windows.vbs in the OAv2 Alpha release, it crashes when running on a Windows 7 Enterprise box at line 1234 - really!

JayDee I think the issue here is the WMI class for IE in windows 7. I had the same issue and use WMIExplorer and couldn't find the WMI class that the audit was trying to use causing it to return an error

Great - easy fix then. Test to see if we're running on a Win7 machine and adjust accordingly. Will work on this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:06 am 

Mark,

Good work so far

1. In OAV1 the script that performed the auditing assigned "" to initialize variables with an empty string. Wouldn't it be more practical to instead of initializing variables with "" to assign them something such as "Uknown". Let me show you this screen shot where assigning "" to variables is problematic. [url]http://gyazo.com/909e710ad25329919334814bcf30a72e.png[/url]
Notice the empty version yet there are 6 hosts with empty versions just that I can't click on it to "drill down".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next