Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Device location
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:32 pm 
It is often useful to know where a device is located, I have done in the past by a table mapping the default gateway to location, from a display point of view this is straightforward, it is just a pain to populate, although it doesn't change very often (!).
List equipment by site is something we get asked reasonably often.
What does anybody else think.

Post subject: Re: Device location
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:14 am 
Contributor

It's a good idea. I think I probably implemented the same thing you did. I just have a table with a list of locations and their respective gateways, and the locations function in my case. This way I can just add a simple query to get an overview of what is at each actual location name.

LDAP: Active Directory 2008 R2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:17 am 
I've started coding this, gathering the subnet info from the PC network card info, to work out the subnet start end end addresses and loading this into a table. I then add a subnet name field to PC and printer records as they are processed, my next job is to write some views around this when time permits.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:57 am 
see the attached zip file for the changes required to add subnet info.
Run the schema changes file to add the new fields and table.
At the next run of audit.vbs the subnets will start to be detected and devices assigned to them.
The only time you would need to add a subnet manually is if there isn't a PC on it.
If you delete a subnet and it sees a PC on there it will be automatically re added.
I've tried to keep the coding style consistent with existing code.

Attachments:
subnet code.zip [38.98 KiB]
Downloaded 338 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am 
will also need this, include_menu_array.php the one in the zip was based on an earlier version

Attachments:
include_menu_array.zip [3.8 KiB]
Downloaded 331 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:57 am 

This is a good idea...particularly because many companies have multiple sites/locations and in most cases each one has their own subnet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:15 am 
I've improved this, it now uses the OA list view for listing the subnets, so the description field is searchable, and also added an export function for the subnet details page. It lists all devices detected on a subnet, including network printers and routers, if you have one subnet per location you can get a list of all devices on that location.
Could this code be added to the SVN?

Attachments:
subnet code.zip [40.86 KiB]
Downloaded 326 times

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:43 am 
Site Admin

I cant add it from here at work (to SVN) - soz.
I just wanted to comment that this is built in to OAv2....
Automatic network groups are created and you can also define other network groups (say a /24 subnet is auto defined, but you might like to manually define a /16 for reporting).
Other auto created groups are Domains. These are the main two I have thought of so far. If anyone thinks of others, please chip in.

As well, there are pre-defined groups for:
All Windows Systems, Windows Servers, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 2008, Linux, Ubuntu, RedHat, Debian, Web Server, Database Server, DNS Server, DHCP Server, SSH Server and Virtual Systems.

I know I shouldn't comment on OAv2 anymore - it only results in a flood of "when can we have it" !!!

I'll have to post some status updates in the General Forum over the next couple of days.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]