Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: OAv2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

Chad,

Yes - winexe. From memory (this was a while back - yet to get to this functionality for OAv2, but it's most definitely gonna be in it), I setup a Samba Share on my Linux (Ubuntu) machine. I then ran winexe, and instructed the Windows machine to download the script to the temp folder. I then re-ran winexe, and told the Windows machine to run the script.

Only tricky bit is that you can execute ONE command using winexe - therefore, two separate steps needed (download then run).
Other catch was setting up the Samba share, to _not_ need authentication, and have it "read only" to the world.

Mark.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:10 pm 
Helper

Couple suggestions for OAv2.

Have the idividual scripts post to the server with XML... Much easier to import and work with afterwards. Maybe even make the the audit.vbs into a windows agent... Use something a bit more advanced like C,VB to have a listener. So the server at the hands of the users could send refresh now commands to clients. Also can be used for deployments...

5% Windows XP
5% Windows 2000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:14 am 
Site Admin

[quote]Have the idividual scripts post to the server with XML... Much easier to import and work with afterwards.

It does this.

[quote]Maybe even make the the audit.vbs into a windows agent... Use something a bit more advanced like C,VB to have a listener. So the server at the hands of the users could send refresh now commands to clients. Also can be used for deployments...
The idea is to have nothing that needs installing on the client PCs. However, I have a system worked out to let the central machine install a scheduled task on the audited PCs. That way, processing is moved from the central PC, to the clients. You will be able to manage this from the central PC. See previous posts - the central PC will be able to make other PCs (using winexe) run the scripts.

On another note - I just stressed OAv2 a bit. I created a script to input 3,500 PCs. I then called the page to "List all systems"... Worked great. The server side PHP/MySQL took a couple of seconds to generate the page and ship it. The client side javascript took about 10 seconds to draw the table. Once it was loaded, back, next & altering number of systems displayed was instant. Great. This was on my system (Core2Duo @ 2.00Ghz, 4Gb memory running XP and Firefox 3). Obviously the speed will be affected by the client. Chrome may be faster. IE, probably slower. Then again, who'd be silly enough to want a list of 3,500 systems ? Using OAv2, you'd likely use the "List systems in group abc" pages 99% of the time. Remember - groups are both dynamically assigned (think tags) and user created (both dynamic and static). Am pretty happy with this performance. If I can ever finish the User and Group pages (create, list, edit, delete) I think I could upload version 0.01..... Do _not_ ask "when" unless you wanna pay my salary....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:49 am 
Helper

Mark as a curios cat, when is the tentative date for the first alpha or beta full version we can keeps our hands on (greedy leecher)

Auditing: 1143 machines
LDAP: Active Directory
Support Open-Audit : [url]http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2990#p13523[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:33 am 
Site Admin

[quote]Do _not_ ask "when" unless you wanna pay my salary....

[quote]Mark as a curios cat, when is the tentative date for the first alpha or beta full version we can keeps our hands on (greedy leecher)

So, when can we start salary negotiations ?!?!?! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:53 pm 
Helper

no issue mark lets start right away r am coming to sydney during may so will hand over in cash :P

Auditing: 1143 machines
Support Open-Audit : [url]http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2990#p13523[/url]

Post subject: OAv2 - looks great!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:05 am 

Thanks for the hard work Mark! I've been using and customizing OAv1 at my work and it's a hit! They had no documentation of their systems whatsoever before... I look like a hero but honestly I really piggybacked off the OpenAudit team.

Can't wait for v2... my work is pretty cheap when it comes to $ but heck I'd like to donate to the project

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:57 am 

Shall I buy the cake and candles, there's a big birthday party due on 22nd June. :twisted:

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:38 am 
Site Admin

ha ha - nice one. I didn't realise it had been so long...
There may just be a pre-alpha on it's birthday...
22nd June hey... will see what I can do to make it happen.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:32 pm 

On a serious note, if you do intend to release a pre-alpha, you can bet your bottom dollar, that we will all be so busy playing with this new toy, that development of OA will freeze.

With this in mind, I propose a feature freeze on OA v1, and release of the release candidate. Followed by an an announcement that we will bug fix only on OA v1, as we work to release OA v2 Beta.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:39 pm 

Gents,

OA is supremely awesome. It is gathering so much information for us that we never had before. Inventory, software tracking, etc are all tons easier. We had to contrive some trickery to run it with Novell, but it works very well.

I eagerly await the abilities you've discussed, most especially grouping.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:36 pm 

I must say we have been using OAv1 in some form or another for almost 3 years now. And it was actually my first jump into a full blown web system I should say in PHP. I lurk around here a lot and I try to stay up on Mark's blog but I have been overwhelmed recently. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in and say Open-Audit is for us about the best thing since sliced bread, and I can't wait to see what the new version has in store. To all the dev guys thanks for all your hard work, open-audit was a god send from our previous way of life. Thanks a lot guys really, I can't imagine going a day without it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:32 am 

Just to let you know, I'm glad you are working on making your software database neutral. I've searched the forums to see if there was support for MSSQL and have seen some of the discussions about the Pros/Cons of making the software compatible. I happen to work in a highly regulated industry that does not allow mySQL or other open-source databases. The only database we are allowed to have is MSSQL, so I was disappointed that I couldn't use Open-Audit in my situation. I have looked at just about every other hardware inventory software and I like yours best. It is clean, simple, fast, reliable, and to the point. I am looking forward to the release of OAv2! Thanks for doing such a great job with it!

Joel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:32 pm 

Wow, looking at the first post date of this thread and then looking at today's date, I am very excited to finally see this in a released alpha. Every few months I check back with the Open-AudIT gurus to see how far this software has progressed. I love Open-AudIT as I think everyone on here does. I picked the perfect time to check back because the Alpha zip was posted today. I immediately had to get it up and running to sneak a peak.

I've only done one audit at home and clicked around, so I haven't been able to get too in depth. So far, I can really see the potential of where you are heading with this! I love the click to edit functionality. You are really making this software much more dynamic. Speaking of dynamic - I would love to see a query builder (hint hint).

One difference I see is no ability to export query results or PDFs. Is this temporary or permanent? The ability to export CSV from v1 is a big feature I use.

I have so many questions about v2, I can hardly structure my thoughts. Is the subnet grouping based off a default 24 bit mask or does it calculate from the audited subnet mask?

I also noticed a comment about decentralizing Open-AudIT. I hope the centralized, clientless format never leaves if this approach is explored. The ability to load Open-AudIT on usbwebserver and scan any network anywhere is a large bonus.

Do you have any plans with the logo? I know it's been around for quite some time and you likely have attachment to it, but it seems out of place on the new interface. Perhaps an update? What are your thoughts?

I'll stop my rambling now and close with a big THANK YOU for the alpha preview. Your hard work is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

[quote]So far, I can really see the potential of where you are heading with this!

When you play with Groups, you can get an idea...
[quote]I love the click to edit functionality. You are really making this software much more dynamic.
Yeah - thank jQuery for this. Also, the way CodeIgniter works, it should be very easy to create a completely new skin. All the logic rests inside CodeIgniter, not in the HTML.
[quote]Speaking of dynamic - I would love to see a query builder (hint hint).
Check out the "Add a Group" feature, and make it a Dynamic type of Group. That's as close as I am at the moment. If anyone has some sort of JavaScript / ajax query builder (even better if it's based on jQuery), please, please let me know.
[quote]One difference I see is no ability to export query results or PDFs. Is this temporary or permanent? The ability to export CSV from v1 is a big feature I use.
Definitely temporary. Can I ask why you use CSV export ? Might start another thread on that...
[quote]Is the subnet grouping based off a default 24 bit mask or does it calculate from the audited subnet mask?
The audited subnet mask of course !!! What, do you think I'm an amateur.. :-)
[quote]Do you have any plans with the logo?
If anyone wants to contribute a logo, feel free.
[quote]I'll stop my rambling now and close with a big THANK YOU for the alpha preview. Your hard work is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the thanks. I still need to get it into a version control (will probably use Bazaar on Launchpad). Hopefully the pace of development will increase now that it's out there and not just in my head !!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next