Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:04 pm 
Open-AudIT Fellow

I added to SVN rev. 1239 the ability to detect S.M.A.R.T. failure prediction (Yes/No) for IDE (PATA/SATA) hard disks.
The S.M.A.R.T. failure prediction can be checked from the system's hardware viewdef, from Queries - List All Hard Disks viewdef or from the "Hard Disks Alerts detected in the last X days" section on the bottom of the homepage. The days period can be configured from the Admin - Config - Homepage GUI.
An RSS feed was also added for this event.
If you get "No results" on some systems, it could depend on:
- S.M.A.R.T. not being enabled on the system BIOS or even supported by the HDD itself
- RAID being used
- the MsStorageDriver_FailurePredictStatus WMI class not being available (which to me it sometimes occurs, for example when using AHCI settings for HDD in the system BIOS instead of IDE or on some old systems).

Let me know if you find a better solution to improve or get a more reliable detection, particularly when that WMI class isn't available.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:20 am 

The SMART stuff is working for me. While helping someone else I noticed a couple things.

The version number wasn't updated in open_audit.sql.

Setup.php is missing the config for $hard_disk_alerts_days in the returnConfig function. This wouldn't matter much except when you go to admin_config.php the value for "Display 'Hard Disks Alerts' on homepage - Days" is empty. When admin_config.php writes the empty value it doesn't quote it so the config file gets "$hard_disk_alerts_days = ;" which isn't valid and [url=http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3690]causes problems.[/url]

The latter problem will happen with all config options that aren't quoted when written in to include_config.php and the users leaves the input field empty.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:45 pm 
Open-AudIT Fellow

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't test a new setup, but those bugs should have been fixed at SVN rev. 1242.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]