Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:50 am 

I would like to see the configuration consolidated in one place. Right now, you have to update audit.config, list_export_config.php, and pretty much every single script, to configure it correctly. That's tedious and error-prone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:53 pm 
Contributor

good idea.

250 Windows workstations (mixed XP and 2000)
5 MACs
Multiple printers, switches, routers, firewalls, and other servers (ESX, AIX etc.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:58 am 
Contributor

IMO the only config info that needs to be in a file is the DB connection details in include_config.php. Everything else should be stored in the DB. Audit.vbs could obtain all the config details that it needs by pulling an XML file down from the web server for example.

So, yes I think it's a good suggestion.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows Server 2003 / Apache 2
Auditing: 1600 Workstations, 200 Servers
OS's: Windows XP / Windows 2000 / Windows 2003 Server / Windows Vista
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:01 pm 

This seems to take on a life on its own; you guys added some great ideas!

Nick, the other thing that needs to be configured somewhere is for the audit script to know the URL where to find the configuration.

I would like to add yet one more enhancement along the same vein: the scripts should never store the configuration in a file, but rather download it into memory and process it there. That way, the scripts would not need write access at all when logging is turned off. Heck - even the logging info could be uploaded back to the server.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:17 pm 
Contributor

Pulling the config from the server sounds like a neat idea.

However, if that was implemented then there should also be a way to define multiple configurations and give them names, sort of like profile names. Then you could define what profile config you wanted to use by adding a command line switch to the audit scripts. I'm not sure how you would get around getting rid of the actual config file so it's only the script that has all the info though.

Perhaps you could generate the script from the OA website. Such that you would pick a config "profile" with all the settings you want the script to include, including what name you want to give the script, then you pick if you want to generate the linux or windows script, then OA could take all the settings and put it in the script itself and let you download the resulting file.

LDAP: Active Directory 2008 R2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:09 am 

Great idea, Chad! Building on that - how about you don't pick the profile right then, but rather the profile keys off either the IP address or the host name or, probably best, a parameter to the URL. The server could also figure out the client's operating system automatically based on the User-Agent header, and generate either the .sh or the .vbs as appropriate.

With such a mechanism, the actual audit script could be as simple as (Linux example, Windows would be similar):

wget -O /tmp/audit_script.sh http://myserver/openaudit/get_audit_script.php
chmod +x /tmp/audit_script.sh
/tmp/audit_script.sh
rm /tmp/audit_script.sh

Or with a non-default profile:

wget -O /tmp/audit_script.sh http://myserver/openaudit/get_audit_scr ... =MyProfile
chmod +x /tmp/audit_script.sh
/tmp/audit_script.sh
rm /tmp/audit_script.sh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Look for this type of stuff in OAv2.
It is much more focused on usability. People just hate editing text files.. I plan to have EVERYTHING configurable from the web interface. Most scripts will run from there (ie - audit my domain, scan a subnet, etc) as well. I hope to have most of OAv2 depend on NOTHING externally. AND have the "applicance" run on Linux. I have found a small app that will start a process (from Linux) on a target Windows machine - very cool...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:12 pm 

Don't know if you are aware, but the script already does have the ability to pull its config from the web page, it just doesn't pull it from the database.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:53 am 
Contributor

[quote="Mark"]Look for this type of stuff in OAv2.
It is much more focused on usability. People just hate editing text files.. I plan to have EVERYTHING configurable from the web interface. Most scripts will run from there (ie - audit my domain, scan a subnet, etc) as well. I hope to have most of OAv2 depend on NOTHING externally. AND have the "applicance" run on Linux. I have found a small app that will start a process (from Linux) on a target Windows machine - very cool...

Oooo...that sounds nice :D

Is the app your using winexe? I remember trying that a while back because I was sick of booting into vmware just to use psexec...heh! Never could get it to work right though :x

LDAP: Active Directory 2008 R2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

winexe == yes. Have replied over here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2855&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]