Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:55 pm 

First of all, hi to everyone, great community as i read out of the current postings.
Thanks to the developer of Open-Audit for creating such an impressive tool.
Open-AudIT is a great tool, i'm using it in our company to gather informations of all computers and it works fine.

I have a few Questions, which may be answered here:
1.) As i worked a little bit with the audit.vbs script, i ask myself, is it possible to hide the fields where the "OK" Button pops up?
Anyone got an idea how to fix that for me?

2.) Is it possible to gather audit-informations repeadly from machines who allready had been audited manually?

3.) I found the option how to audit a domain. This is great, but i want to audit on organisation unit - base. Know what i mean?
How i must fix the code to get this work, the domain must not be audited cause of geographically situations of my company.

Many greetings from cold Vienna, Austria
Suko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:08 pm 

Glad you are finding Open Audit useful.

To audit domains, and integrate with Active Directory, take a look at the FAQs. So far as the OU rather than domain audit is concerned, if you specify the ldap string correctly as the OU, rather than the domain, then that is what will be audited, providing you had the relevant permissions to do so, and have opened your workstation firewalls to permit WMI to connect from your auditing workstation, again take a look through the FAQ section for further details.

Set verbose = "n" in audit.vbs if you want to loose the OK pop-ups.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:19 pm 
Open-AudIT Fellow

1) If I understood your question, try running audit.vbs from the command prompt (make sure the path is right)
[code]
cscript audit.vbs
[/code]

2) and 3) Take a look at Andrew's FAQs (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2470 and viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1464.
If the suggested way to audit an OU fails, try creating a text files with all computer names from that OU, one per line, save it, modify accordingly the input_file parameter in audit.config and run the audit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:15 am 

Ok, this works fine.
The "OK"-Buttons dissapeared almost completly, only the "Final"-Button appears, anyway. Any chance to make him disapear, too?

Second Thing:
The Systems which got audited: i want to create an additional view, just like the "Audit Now!" Button. An Idea could be, that the
audited Systems may be selectable in a Drop-Down menu or something - know what i mean?
I found a thread on this topic, but he last entry on it goes like "up to come". Is there an eta of that feature?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your answers.

Greets,

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:57 pm 

I have a test version in the latest SVN, give it a try if you want.

Navigate to Admin > Audit My PC.

A script will be sent to the browser.

Run this and you should see the results posted (silently at present) to the web page after a few minutes.

Its very much Beta at the moment, but it wont break anything. :D

OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:43 am 
Contributor

[quote="A_Hull"]I have a test version in the latest SVN, give it a try if you want.

Navigate to Admin > Audit My PC.

A script will be sent to the browser.

Run this and you should see the results posted (silently at present) to the web page after a few minutes.

Its very much Beta at the moment, but it wont break anything. :D

not sure how this works, but if you are not a local admin it just sits there. also if the local PC does not have cscript as it's default scripting engine you get the pop ups instead.

Jason

250 Windows workstations (mixed XP and 2000)
5 MACs
Multiple printers, switches, routers, firewalls, and other servers (ESX, AIX etc.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:50 am 

As I said it is Beta.

Try saving the script to the desktop and running it from there.

I have noticed that Firefox has no issues, but IE breaks (the script is zero bytes long) still looking in to this.

Not having local admin rights may cause an issue if you run the script directly, so save it to the desktop first (it needs to create a config file, I will probably force it to do this in the %TMP% folder eventually, but this may be an issue of you just run the script)

Let me know the results.

If run from the desktop, currently it should leave its config there once tun. Any subsequent run will use this config without updating from the server. Delete it if you want to re-create it automatically.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:06 am 

simple way i found to remove all the pop ups was to search & replace

Wscript.Echo
with
' Wscript.echo

in the audit.vbs file.

only way I know its audting now is my a drive runs :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:13 am 

I was going through the feature requests and came across this one. I have found a pretty good solution for silent audits. If you run the audit.vbs file from a command script and verbose is set to off on the audit.config file you still have to wait with a blank command window on your screen for a few minuets, and if the user closes the window the audit is canceled. Well I found something that makes the audit or any other logon script run silent or invisible completely.

Create a vbs script to call your audit command to run your audit. It sound kinda complicated but it works great.

here is the vbs code you can call the vbs silentaudit.vbs or whatever you want.
-----------------------------------------------------
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
obj = WshShell.Run("\\%logonserver%\netlogon\audit.cmd", 0)
set WshShell = Nothing
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and this may look familiar,... the command script to call the audit.vbs file this could be called audit.cmd as in the code above.

@echo off
cscript //%logonserver%/netlogon/audit.vbs

so if you are running the audit.vbs file from your logonscript you can add this line at the bottom of your logon script to start the silentaudit.vbs file

%windir%\system32\cscript %LOGONSERVER%\netlogon\silentaudit.vbs

I have had alot of success with this and maybe the open-audit guys can find away to incorporate this into the code who knows.

hope this helps...

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:33 am 

Looks interesting, will take a closer look early next week. Perhaps we can make this the default behavior of the script.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]