Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:57 pm 
Contributor

To take these points separately:
[quote="A_Hull"]The data gives us the ability to track changes to the AD, things like last logon domain logon time of both the user and the machine

Presumably this will need us to retain a lot of historical data in the LDAP tables (in the same way that software is tracked in OA)?

[quote="A_Hull"]also since we are picking up info from more than one domain, we can now look up user and computer ldap details for all of the domains, rather than just the currently attached domain.

We can do this now and is something I've just started working on. Now that we have functionality to define multiple LDAP sources (i.e. connections on the LDAP config page), we can use this connection info when pulling up LDAP details for a particular user or system - using the domain name to identify which LDAP connection we need to use*. This also eliminates the need for the LDAP connection settings on the config -> security page.

[quote="A_Hull"]One final point, some people run multiple AD schemas, and audit each, merging the database, in this case the ldap audit script may be run from a domain which is not even a part of the current trust relationships or schema, and thus we couldn't see any of these details directly.

Not sure what you're driving at here. We're using LDAP to pull the details - either "live" when requested or by pulling them into the OA DB by auditing. It doesn't matter what trusts are in place provided we have the necessary credentials to access the source data via LDAP.

[quote="A_Hull"]Finally if I back up the database, and restore it at a future date I can see how things were at a particular time.

I guess that could be useful.

[quote="A_Hull"]One little trick I just thought of, if we harvest the full details, it would be possible to recreate a user, or indeed a whole bunch of users in the AD (using a vbscript or whatever) even if some halfwit deletes them either accidentally or on purpose. One could even recreate some or all of the users and/or computers in an entirely new domain or forest.

In AD, the single most important user properties are objectSid, sIDHistory and objectGUID, none of which can be written to using LDAP, so a genuine backup/restore type process isn't possible using this method. There are simply better tools freely available to do this for AD. I don't have experience enough of other LDAP schemas to comment on them.

* I also intend to add similar functionality to the LDAP login page to allow authentication from any of the pre-defined LDAP sources

[size=85]OA Server: Windows Server 2003 / Apache 2
Auditing: 1600 Workstations, 200 Servers
OS's: Windows XP / Windows 2000 / Windows 2003 Server / Windows Vista
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:16 am 
Open-AudIT Fellow

Nick, did you find a fix to the IE bug I previously reported? If you add a LDAP connection and press the Save button after a successfull test, nothing changes (although the DB is updated) and you have to manually refresh the page to see the new LDAP connection. Oddly, the adding of a new LDAP path is automatically refreshed instead.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:56 am 
Contributor

[quote="ef"]Nick, did you find a fix to the IE bug I previously reported? If you add a LDAP connection and press the Save button after a successfull test, nothing changes (although the DB is updated) and you have to manually refresh the page to see the new LDAP connection. Oddly, the adding of a new LDAP path is automatically refreshed instead.

To be honest I'd forgotten all about that one because I was unable to reproduce it. Let me think about what steps we can take next to diagnose the cause.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:04 pm 
Contributor

Edoardo,

Can you try this:
In javascript\admin_config.js, comment out lines 298 to 306, and line 310.

If that doesn't work, try changing line 88 to:
[code]{setTimeout('ListLdapConnections()', 2000);}
[/code]

Remember to clear your browser cache after making any changes. Let me know the results of your testing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:07 pm 
Open-AudIT Fellow

[quote="NickBrown"]Edoardo,
Can you try this:
In javascript\admin_config.js, comment out lines 298 to 306, and line 310.

Thank you Nick, your first suggestion seems doing the trick. If this doesn't break anything else, we can commit it to SVN.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:24 pm 
Contributor

Edoardo,

I'd rather find out what's wrong with the code rather than just removing it, if you don't mind assisting. Are you familiar with using WireShark (Ethereal)?

Cheers, Nick.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:57 pm 
Open-AudIT Fellow

If you want I can PM you a WireShark capture file of http traffic only, with/without SSL enabled.
I noticed that the bug is present only if HTTPS is enabled ($use_https = 'y'; in include_config.php): if I disable the option and use http only, the page is correctly refreshed.
Another thing to mention: with SSL on, every field to edit with connections or path details in the admin_config.php?sub=1 page (LDAP server name, user name, password, path) are blank (simply not displayed) and you can see an IE error at line 205, char 3, "this.XmlDomObject.DocumentElement is null or it's not an object", Code 0
If I disable SSL, everything is OK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:45 pm 
Contributor

Let me see if I can get SSL enabled on my test system and reproduce the problem. A Wireshark capture won't be much use if you're using SSL.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5