Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Approved Software
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:22 am 

Does anyone have time to port it from Winventory or create a new one?

This would really hit the spot :D

Cheers,
Snoop

LDAP: Active Directory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:34 pm 
Contributor

[quote="A_Hull"]Good ideas, all of them. BTW Winventory used to do machine groups, so you might like to take a look at that for a few ideas, (think it was pretty simple, and needed quite a lot of user input).

A good feature would be to be able to take a system that has been audited and represents your "standard build" and import all audited software to a specified group. That would make populating the groups (or at least some of them) a bit easier.

Cheers, Nick.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows Server 2003 / Apache 2
Auditing: 1600 Workstations, 200 Servers
OS's: Windows XP / Windows 2000 / Windows 2003 Server / Windows Vista
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:41 am 

any devs on this topic?

Rgds,
Adrian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:26 pm 

*BUMP*

Really strange nobody is further looking into this, because Software Governance seems to be something big these days.

I would suggest something like creating a separate table in the db with a "whitelist" and a query page that croschecks and displays what is not in that table

Regards,
Adrian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:41 am 
Site Admin

I am looking.... :-)
I'll see what I can do for OAv2.
I will post with some questions (I can think of at least one right now) when I've had a chance to mull this over a bit.

Initial one is - How do we account for patches ?
I would assume anything classed as a patch would need to be "auto approved", yes ?

How do you want this displayed ?
A list page with IPAddress, PC Name, Unapproved Software Name, Date detected.

More thoughts to come.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:16 pm 

Hi,

I would go with PC Name, IP Address, User, Unapproved, Software Name, Date Detected

Also, if it could keep a history/log that would be nice something like how many times was this user found with a blacklisted software ina 1 month query where you get

Username, Software, Times

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

1 - Software is usually installed machine wide (not per user).
2 - Software does not always input into the registry which user installed it.

So, "unapproved software by machine" would be OK but "unapproved software on machine by user" would not.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:21 pm 

That is correct, however you could get the data for blacklisted software by user, using the last logged on username...

In many organizations there is one machine for each user, worst case scenario the machine is shared by 2-3 people, still it would give you an accurate idea of who that machine belongs to directly in the report, without going back and looking for each user, am I right?

Thanks & Regards
Adrian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:19 am 

In my case my company is interested in such Approved/Unapproved Software functionality as well. For us I think that an "Unapproved Software per Machine" report or listing would probably be fine as most of our machines only have one primary user. I put each person's name into the Computer Description field as a way of tracking who is the primary user for each machine but showing the last logged in username would work too.

One idea may be to tie the list of approved software in with the existing Software Register feature. That might make it easier to implement.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:34 pm 

Currently the way I do this is to leave Firefoxes RSS ticker running on my machine, and that of one of my collegues, showing the Software detected in the last 'N' Days feed (typically the last 5 days).

This lets me see quickly when something new arrives, and when I hover over the items, it shows Machine name, IP and User. Our Quality policy dictates that users are not allowed to install anything without approval, and I have just issued a number of Non Conformance Reports for this today.

This is not an ideal solution, as it doesn't show historical stuff, but it catches a surprising number of offenders, and makes the majority of people stick to the rules. However any hookey software installed a while ago will go unnoticed till we manually run through the All software list which is done periodically (about once a month).

I suspect that any changes we make will need to do something similar, perhaps even change the RSS feed to allow optionally showing only unapproved software items.

Having an approved software list may not be quite as easy as it appears, since "Outlook", "Outlook 2002", "Outlook 2003", "Outlook 2008" etc might be approved, but "Outlook Hookey Toolbar" is not, and often things I think might be iffy turn out to be componets of existing software. HP scanners for example install a surprising amount of bloat, but I cant NCR someone if they requested that they be allowed to install their shiny new scanner, just because it installed ZinPing Image software, not on the approved software list.

Automating the approval of software is not as simple as it sounds either, for example some users at a remote site, might be permitted Office Pro, and others only Office Standard, due to licensing restrictions.

If they sneak in to the software cupboard and install Pro without asking that is an NCR, but since the software is on the approved list, we might not spot it. Likewise some users are allowed to install Google Earth (if they seek approval) in order to plan site visits or whatever, other most certainly are not, since they probably only be using it to look for evidence of UFOs :twisted: .

We dont want to make things too complicated, but...

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:25 pm 
Helper

My OAv2 test installation which runs on a small subset of our machines does have an (ever-longer) home page that lists, amongst other things, software additions - and deletions. This makes day-to-day tracking *much* easier even for tedious items such as "Java(TM) 6 Update 19 (6.0.190)". Given this ability I would suggest that not too much effort should be expended on such a feature in OA (v1).

John

4 Windows 2003 Servers
20 Windows XP workstations
1 Windows 7 workstation
2 Ubuntu 11.10 servers
Misc other networked items

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:36 am 

[quote="A_Hull"]Having an approved software list may not be quite as easy as it appears, since "Outlook", "Outlook 2002", "Outlook 2003", "Outlook 2008" etc might be approved, but "Outlook Hookey Toolbar" is not, and often things I think might be iffy turn out to be componets of existing software. HP scanners for example install a surprising amount of bloat, but I cant NCR someone if they requested that they be allowed to install their shiny new scanner, just because it installed ZinPing Image software, not on the approved software list.

Automating the approval of software is not as simple as it sounds either, for example some users at a remote site, might be permitted Office Pro, and others only Office Standard, due to licensing restrictions.

If they sneak in to the software cupboard and install Pro without asking that is an NCR, but since the software is on the approved list, we might not spot it. Likewise some users are allowed to install Google Earth (if they seek approval) in order to plan site visits or whatever, other most certainly are not, since they probably only be using it to look for evidence of UFOs :twisted: .

We dont want to make things too complicated, but...

True it wouldn't prevent unauthorized installation of authorized apps but isn't that more of a licensing issue anyways? The Software Registry could be used to figure out licensing discrepancies.

What I would ideally like is for some way to create a report of unapproved software similar to how the "List all Software with Hosts" page looks. Even if means having to manually approve a bunch of apps initially... Another idea would be to make a checklist of software in the database (similar to how the Delete a System page looks) so that software could more easily be approved/unapproved by admins. It wouldn't have to be perfect for each case (I'm sure there would probably be exemptions to the rule)... just something to give us a general picture of the unapproved software out there on our network.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:16 am 

Interesting read and different needs makes it really complicated to make something that will suit every ones needs.

[code]
Select software_name, software_version FROM software
group by CONCAT(software_name, software_version)
[/code]

Should give you a list of unique software in your environment. Took a list of 550,000 entries down to 1,700, so it must work :P

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2