Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: How is UUID generated?
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:32 am 

I'm curious how the UUID for each machine is created. We image machines ever few weeks in our test labs and some times we swap NIC's and other hardware. I saw that you can track with UUID, MAC or systemname, but the MAC's can switch since were swapping NIC's and the systemname might change also.

I haven't tried it out to much but i'm using UUID and would be good to know since if I do modify something that creates a new UUID I can track that.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:06 am 

The UUID comes from the [url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394105%28VS.85%29.aspx]Win32_ComputerSystemProduct[/url] class and should be unique. This [url=http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3351]is not always the case.[/url]

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:44 am 

Thanks.

Would it be not good if I switched over to Serial on the motherboard? I'm hoping to try and keep track of the hardware which we never pull the motherboard out of the chassis.

Edit: If I have scanned a machine with UUID and switch to something else like MAC. Do I need to remove those first entries that were collected as UUID?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:05 am 

[quote="cmendes0101"]Would it be not good if I switched over to Serial on the motherboard?
I would stick with the UUID unless you have devices with no UUID or duplicates. This way you don't have to maintain any changes to audit.vbs that would be required to switch to a non-UUID/MAC/Name ID. Even then are you sure about the motherboard serial not changing? We have Dell's that have had the motherboard replaced and the replacement MB had no serial.

[quote="cmendes0101"]Do I need to remove those first entries...The system tracks by the UUID so if it changes OpenAudit thinks it's a new machine. If you change the UUID type you'll need to remove the previously audited machines to clean up your database and reports. I suppose you could update the tables but I don't think it would be worth the effort. Unless you wanted to maintain a bunch of history.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]