Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

I have been asked to give a presentation on Open-AudIT later this week to SAGE-AU (System Administrators Guild of Australia). I have some initial notes but I'll put this out there to see if anyone can give some input which I don't already have...

If anyone wishes to put some thoughts down in reply to this, it would be most appreciated. The details are below.

Thanks in advance,
Mark.

Title:
What is a Network Configuration Monitor and why should I bother ?

Abstract:
What's on your network ? How is it configured ? Would you know if a setting changed ? Would you know if a new network service was installed ? Open-AudIT is free, open and here to help. Track your network's configuration and what your devices are doing.

The headings are such:
Who am I ?
What is Open-AudIT ?
Downloads, Users and Developers
Open-AudIT History
How Does Open-AudIT work ?
What info is gathered ?
Why use a Network Configuration Monitor ?
Where is Open-AudIT going ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:06 pm 

How long is the presentation?

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:31 am 
Site Admin

With audience questions throughout - 45mins...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:18 pm 

I assume you will have a working copy of OA with you, rather than just PPT slides.

Personally think you will struggle to squeeze in everything in 45 mins, (or perhaps I just talk too much when I do training courses :twisted: )

Keep it simple, concentrate on all of the stuff we harvest from the machines, if you have a live internet link, and can show some of the "bling" (Warranty links etc) I suspect this is the sort of thing that will get the jaded sysadmins to wake up.

How formal is the talk, is it sit round a table, or large hall full of snoozing faces?

This wouldn't by any chance be an excuse for a few days holiday on the Gold Coast would it?
Cant think why the venue (Cnr Surfers Paradise Bvd and Hanlan St) might make me suspect this... :P

Any way OA should sell itself, so just enjoy yourself and pass on your enthusiasm.

OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:07 am 
Site Admin

[quote]I assume you will have a working copy of OA with you, rather than just PPT slides.

Yep - both Open-AudIT and OAv2 - running on my little eeePC 701 !!!
[quote]Personally think you will struggle to squeeze in everything in 45 mins
I hope so - am a bit nervous about talkng for that long - but I have been told they will ask questions as we go, so hopefully it'll be OK.
[quote]Keep it simple, concentrate on all of the stuff we harvest from the machines, if you have a live internet link, and can show some of the "bling" (Warranty links etc) I suspect this is the sort of thing that will get the jaded sysadmins to wake up.
No idea about an Internet link... Hopefully the demo will be "enough"...
[quote]How formal is the talk, is it sit round a table, or large hall full of snoozing faces?
Again - no idea. Never been to a meeting.
[quote]This wouldn't by any chance be an excuse for a few days holiday on the Gold Coast would it?
Cant think why the venue (Cnr Surfers Paradise Bvd and Hanlan St) might make me suspect this...
Think you've mixed up the annual conference thing, and this monthly meeting... I am thinking about the conference - we'll see how tomorrow night goes... There's also OSDC here in Brisbane this year (in about November).
[quote]Any way OA should sell itself, so just enjoy yourself and pass on your enthusiasm.
Well, I hope so - will report back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:48 am 

Let me know how you get on. I was thinking of setting up a couple of flash walk through vids for the setup and basic features. Let me know if you want me to post these to you for inclusion on the web site.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:00 am 

I wouldn't spend more than 5 minutes on the setup, except in showing how easy it is to get it going. If they want it, they'll learn how to install.

In my opinion, you should focus on it's brute strength and incredible versatility, plus that it's open for anyone to modify to their liking.

Show them how amazing it is to have an sql database containing information on every system in the the environment, updated whenever they wish. As an example, for us Open-Audit was intended to be a simple audit tool, but is now used in a myriad of ways. Once we generated a large and consistent database, we could pull software audits, real-time inventory of applications, service tracking, asset management, user tracking, storage monitoring, software deployment, computer pinpointing, and that's just scraping the surface.

It's been an incredible tool, with way more purposes than we initially conceived.

That's what's so powerful about this software, it's pure brute force; and it's up to the user to decide how to use the data or collect more.

*****EDIT - Just realized you posted this a bit back, hope the presentation went well *****

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]