Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Would you support Advertisements inside Open-AudIT
Yes, that's fine 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
No, I would stop using OA 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
No, I would not stop using OA, but I wouldn't like it 64%  64%  [ 23 ]
I don't care 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 36
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:41 am 
Site Admin

I am thinking about the possibility of placing Google Ads inside Open-AudIT.
This is purely so we can raise (some) money to pay for web hosting, domain name, et al.
I doubt there would be much money generated - but you don't know if you don't try.

So, my questions to you, the users, is if you would 'put up with' this. Maybe you would be fine with it, maybe you don't care. You might put up with it, but not be happy - and you might even discontinue using OA.

Let me know, so I can make an informed decision. I do not want to offend people, or put them off using OA.

If you have any other suggestions to cover costs, please post them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:56 am 
I'd say that's a very difficult proposition. I'm not even sure google ads would work on a server that is not internet facing. Also the fact that some installs won't have internet access, making the ads an annoyance as they would never load. Not sure how true any of this is, but the other factor is that some people would not want ads on a page with 'sensitive' information. I feel like the money raised would also not be significant, and it may be better to appeal to people's good will to cover your costs. Just remember the community contributions to this project, and keep everyone happy :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:51 pm 

Some subtle adverts on the OA home page http://www.open-audit.org might well be acceptable, but I would steer clear of including ads in the PHP code base. (In my case I would just rip them back out again, since they wouldn't work from the server location in question).

Would we be able to generate significant amounts of revenue this way, or are our page hits too low. Also be aware you may have no meaningful control over what is advertised on the pages, and could see some strange stuff.

I have no objections in principal, we can always drop them if they prove unpopular or not worth while in terms of revenue.

I do feel however that the "Community Contributions" would be a better place to start, bring on the PayPal button... but even this is no guarantee that we will cover our costs. Again, try it and see. :P

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:13 am 
Contributor

I have no problem with ads being in the forum or site as long as they don't get in the way. (Plus I wouldn't see them anyway with Adblock) But if they were in the actually source code I would take them out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:15 am 
Helper

[quote="glampe"]I have no problem with ads being in the forum or site as long as they don't get in the way. (Plus I wouldn't see them anyway with Adblock) But if they were in the actually source code I would take them out.

My feelings exactly

4 Windows 2003 Servers
20 Windows XP workstations
1 Windows 7 workstation
2 Ubuntu 11.10 servers
Misc other networked items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:08 am 
Contributor

Hi,

1. No problem with ads on OA public website (here).
2. On the product i would say no. As folks already said, most installs are not allowed to go out to the internet, so it would be nuisance more than anything else.
3. Furthermore, I would ensure the concept of putting in the code does not violate Adsense TOS. I think it might.
4. I would much prefer a contribution a la Paypal etc. I would lend support that way.

jsingh

250 Windows workstations (mixed XP and 2000)
5 MACs
Multiple printers, switches, routers, firewalls, and other servers (ESX, AIX etc.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:22 pm 

[quote="Mark"]I am thinking about the possibility of placing Google Ads inside Open-AudIT.
This is purely so we can raise (some) money to pay for web hosting, domain name, et al.
I doubt there would be much money generated - but you don't know if you don't try.

If you have any other suggestions to cover costs, please post them.

If you need web hosting I may give you space and bandwidth on my server ... in return for letting me place my google ads on the website :D
(not in Open-AudIT, just the site)

let me know if you're interested.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:16 am 

If they were placed under the search box that would be fine with me. Just make them so that it doesn't really mess with my experience and make sure that they don't slow down my access. Once those things are met I really don't care if they are in there or not. If it helps make this better software then I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:30 am 
Helper

I think the problem with this concept is that if you are open-sourcing the software, then like another reader said, what would stop anyone from removing the advertisements?

I'm thinking that the donation model might be better...

There has to be a way to give some perks to the people who are doing the donating, don't you think?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:18 am 
Helper

I agree, we are testing out the product right now. And would definitly be willing to make a good dontation when implimented.

5% Windows XP
5% Windows 2000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:53 am 

I would be more interested in making a personal donation than to deal with advertisements in the OA product. Having ads in the fourm wouldn't be a bother but some valid points were brought up already regarding this.

My .02

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:15 pm 
Helper

I cut off such adds (and Google Ads too) on proxy, so it is not disturb my, but in usual ...
As noted below, if such Ad is not a option, peaple throw them manualy, so if you do this it should have a check box :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:38 pm 
Helper

to me i love to donate than running google ads in my intranet :)

kickme to donation link i will surely give it or u give me ur hosting company bill i can pay the bill either way fine.

Auditing: 1143 machines
LDAP: Active Directory
Support Open-Audit : [url]http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2990#p13523[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:29 pm 

ADS are blocked by proxy - however publish Paypalaccount and i think at least 5 Bucks can everyone afford. I would more priorisize the idea of having two monthly fixed sponsoradds directly added in every build.

How this shall work?
Well, 1st banner is dedicaded to the highest paypal amount occured for that month and the 2nd can be a

I) Random Ad from googlesydicate (or whatever you choose as adsponsor) - maybe even with onlineupdate
II) Random choosen from all submitted "fees" via paypal
III) Ad for the services from contributors of open-audit (developers/active&helpful forum users)

Regards Falko

Last edited by Falko on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:27 pm 
Helper

i can pump in decent amount from my company as donation please contact me if interested.

Auditing: 1143 machines
LDAP: Active Directory
Support Open-Audit : [url]http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2990#p13523[/url]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next