Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:23 pm 

Am I correct in thinking that the audit script just probes the registry to gather information about the software installed on a particluar workstation?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:33 pm 
It looks there, but I believe it also looks at software installed using msi packages, since they are standardized by Microsoft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:50 pm 

I'm really getting some useful audit info out of OpenAudit, but am struggling a little with the way it discovers software...

For example with my licensing hat on, I want to know how many installs of Office Pro I have, not all the different flavours of it.

But with my techie hat on I need to know specific versions so that I can ensure they get patches applied to them.

Also how does it handle rogue exe's laying around the pc?

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:04 am 
OA does not handle rogue exe's, because it would quite simply be too large a mess. I know I don't want to look at a report listing thousands of exe files to go through.

Now, license tracking will hopefully be completed eventually. That way you could probably find the information you want easier, though I'm not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:20 pm 

thanks for your response mikey, i look forward to seeing some licence management in the future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:00 pm 

[quote="bloater"]...
Also how does it handle rogue exe's laying around the pc?

Thanks in advance

We also use TrackIT!, this is an expensive option, but it does handle every exe on the box (or so it claims, but that's another story), problem is that it generates so much static, that you get no meaningful information out of it.

Typically every box has hundreds if not thousands of exe files on it, so I gave up with it ages ago... OA's software register is much more useful, but nothing beats a good Anti-virus / Anti-spy-ware setup for combating the rouges.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]