Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Auditing Linux Boxes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:50 am 
Helper

I'd love to get more technical information about my Linux servers. In the not-so-distant future I am going to have to. I've been toying with the auditing script for Linux a little bit. All of my servers are either running OpenSUSE 10.1 or SLES9. I can audit Window machines just fine, however Linux is a little sketchy. Some machines can have their IP/Subnet detected, others cannot. "dpkg" has to be installed manually (via SMART package manager) and gives me this error: "dpkg-query: failed to open package info file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' for reading: No such file or directory"

Anyone have a fine-tuned audit script for SUSE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:28 am 
Interesting. I'll have to look at the audit again, haven't for awhile. Dpkg is, to my knowledge, only useful on Debian-based systems. Suse systems should be using an rpm system, so we'll have to look into that. It's not too big an issue to just comment out the software detection, especially for servers under your control!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:33 am 
Helper

Making it work with YaST or even SMART if possible would be really kick ass. Eventually we'll have to audit the software for part of our [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbanes-Oxley_Act]SOX Compliance[/url].

Open-AudIT does such a great job for our SOX auditors. The company I work for is gracious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:36 am 
I think Ubuntu may be moving to smart soon, not sure. Either they're doing it or Debian upstream is, not sure. Good thing to look into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

I have a script here (somewhere) that will audit SuSe boxes OK. Will have to upload it.... Apologies for the delay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:27 am 
Helper

Hey Mark. I am looking forward to getting it. Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]