Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: UUID ?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:18 am 
Contributor

Hi all,
Long time no see since v1.12.8, I'm starting a new project related to systems architecture and we are in need of a discovery tool and figured OA would do great, however I have an issue that I need to reconcile so I figured to ask here since I've missed a lot of changes since.

Our tool uses UUID to identify elements in a node like software or user accounts. OA would do great on the discovery piece and I could export the data from OA and substitute IDs with UUIDs but I think there's a benefit to actually be able to keep both systems in sync if we had UUID in OA beyond the Systems table. I can imagine two ways to accomplish this, 1. Replace the sequential/incremental ID field for UUIDs, although this approach would be a lot more work that would require upgrading to MySQL 8, which I don't know if OA supports it yet. or 2. add a new UUID column to the tables in the database which we can populate on a need to need basis. So I'm going with the obvious second option.

Questions
1. Would it be OK to add a new UUID column for those tables (I'm thinking Software, User, User Groups initially) that we would like to keep in sync. Would customizing the database schema that way break anything?
2. Could we call those custom fields out via OA API

Post subject: Re: UUID ?
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Adding uuid to those tables shouldn't hurt anything. Is the uuid derived from something or a true "random" uuid?
The API will need a slight tweak - look at the file /code_igniter/application/models/m_collection.php and the update_fields function. I think that's all you'll need to touch.
Don't forget you'll need to apply your patch going forward for each release, to that file.

Mark.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 am 
Contributor

[quote] Is the uuid derived from something or a true "random" uuid?

For the software table I was looking at product GUID, or something similar and add it to the auditing script, but I just realized that product guids are not unique per install but unique to the product. This will create duplicates GUIDs on the table which is not exactly what I was looking for so I might end up creating true random UUIDs, but still not sure how to approach this programatically. I was thinking via a db trigger but no UUID function on MySQL 5.7 so I've just been manually inserting GUIDs into the database.

Still thinking how to go about this...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, see the UUID() function on this page.
[url]https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/miscellaneous-functions.html[/url]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]