Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:14 am 

Hello,

When I manually upload the script to a computer and run it, it returns back everything I would expect. Software Info, Hardware Info etc.

When I run it from the webpage discovery, It has the computer name and most of the Device Details. But the left hand only has SUMMARY and SETTINGS. Missing are: HARDWARE and SOFTWARE.

I am not sure where to look to see why this is happening.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks,
Danno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:40 am 

Check the Debug box on the Discover a device page and parse through the debug output looking for a problem?

I don't use the web page discovery method myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:54 am 

This seems to be the only error in the log:

DEBUG - Windows Copy Command: smbclient \\\\10.42.235.41\\\admin$ -U "domainname\userwithadminrights%******" -c "put /usr/local/open-audit/other/scripts/audit_windows_17_06_05_10_49_56.vbs audit_windows.vbs 2>&1"
LOG - Linux attempt (1) to copy file to 10.42.235.41 succeeded in wmi_helper::copy_to_windows

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Filename: helpers/wmi_helper.php

Line Number: 173

DEBUG - Command Executed: screen -D -m timeout 5m /usr/local/open-audit/other/winexe-static -U /domainname\userwithadminrights%****** --uninstall //10.42.235.41 "cscript c:\windows\audit_windows.vbs submit_online=y create_file=n strcomputer=. url=http://10.42.233.16/open-audit/index.php/system/add_system debugging=3 system_id=6 last_seen_by=audit_wmi"
DEBUG - Result: success

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:36 am 

From the error message it looks like OpenAudit is expecting the username for the credential it uses to connect to the target system to be of the form username@domain. What format do you have for the username in Admin->Credentials->List Credentials?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:12 am 

Yea, I caught that as well after I looked at the logs some more. And I did have my credentials in as domainname\username. But I have tried other combinations of username@domainname and can't get it to authenticate. I will mess with it some more today and see if I can come up with anything. If I can't, I will post a new log.

Thanks for your help!
Danno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:16 am 

I finally tracked it down to our anti-virus. Even though I white listed the hash of that file, it still blocked the script from running. I can whitelist that location BUT it looks like it copies it to C:\windows and then runs it.

Is there anyways to force it to copy that script somewhere else? I hate to whitelist scripts running in all of c:\windows

Does it have the capability to possible create a folder on C: and then copy into that folder. It would be great if I can just make a random folder name up. Something like C:\openaudittrail

Then have it copy the vbs into that folder and run from there.

I would feel more comfortable whitelisting a non-standard named folder like openaudittrail.

Thanks!
Danno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:37 am 

It does not have that capability right now. You could probably make it happen by editing functions in discovery.php. Too much hassle I'd say.

OpenAudit is executing "cscript <auditscript name>.vbs" to run the script. Thus the failure of whitelisting the script hash. Can you whitelist cscript.exe to run?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:38 am 

I can whitelist cscript but the logs of my antivirus aren't showing it block that. It is very tight script control and is actually blocking the script. I have some work arounds that I can implement, but for long term, I'd really like to find a way to create a folder name of my choice to run the script from.

I have tried a few things with discovery.php but it still puts the file into C:\windows (I basically changed every instance of C:\Windows to C:\dannotest. It didn't break anything but still put and ran the file from c:\Windows. You are probably right..too much hassle...but I still want to try..

Any other ideas where it might be telling smb to put that file?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:52 am 

Without having tested this myself one thing you could try...

Edit the $destination variable in discovery.php at line 1318.
[code]$destination = 'audit_windows.vbs';[/code]to
[code]$destination = 'temp\\audit_windows.vbs';[/code]

Edit the $command at line 1360 to something like
[code]$command = "cscript c:\\windows\\temp\\audit_windows.vbs submit_online=y create_file=n strcomputer=. url=".$url."index.php/system/add_system debugging=" . $debugging . " system_id=".$details->id." last_seen_by=audit_wmi";[/code]

I used "temp" in "C:\Windows" because the folder must already exist for smbclient to copy the file over successfully. Whitelist the "c:\windows\temp" folder or whatever existing folder or path you choose instead.

It doesn't look like OpenAudit remove the script from the target system after doing the audit.

All the code is available so you could have OpenAudit create the target folder in C:\Windows before copying over the audit script and then remove it after.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:45 am 

That worked perfectly. Now I am trying to figure out how to do the same with discover_domain.vbs

I have made a few changes but it is still copying to Windows or getting an error.

I am trying to send it to c:\Windows\Logs

That allows me to ONLY whitelist "logs" for vb scripts. Still pretty secure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:59 am 

Have you already tried something like this and it failed?

discovery.php line 380
[code]$command_string = "smbclient \\\\\\\\".$_POST['server']."\\\\admin$ -U \"".$_POST['windows_domain']."\\".$_POST['windows_username']."%".$_POST['windows_password']."\" -c \"put $filepath/discover_domain.vbs logs/discover_domain.vbs\" 2>&1";[/code]

discovery.php line 404
[code]$command_string = "smbclient \\\\\\\\".$_POST['server']."\\\\admin$ -U \"".$_POST['windows_domain']."\\".$_POST['windows_username']."%".$_POST['windows_password']."\" -c \"put $filepath/audit_windows.vbs logs/audit_windows.vbs\" 2>&1";[/code]

discovery.php line 428
[code]$command_string = "screen -D -m timeout 5m /usr/local/open-audit/other/winexe-static -U ".$_POST['windows_domain']."/".$_POST['windows_username']."%".$_POST['windows_password']." --uninstall //".$_POST['server']." \"cscript //nologo c:\windows\logs\discover_domain.vbs local_domain=LDAP://".$_POST['windows_domain']." number_of_audits=".$_POST['number_of_audits']." script_name=c:\windows\logs\audit_windows.vbs url=".$url." limit=".$limit." debugging=0 struser=".$_POST['windows_domain']."\\".$_POST['windows_username']." strpass=".$_POST['windows_password']." \" ";[/code]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:18 am 

That did the trick. You have no idea how much this helped me! Thank you so much for your valuable time.

I think this would be a great added feature IMO.

Danno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:40 am 

Great. Don't know how likely this would become a feature. I suspect not much.

Watch out when upgrading to the next version (which is not out yet). The locations for the edits have changed (i.e. different files).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:34 am 
Site Admin

I'll add this to our ticket list as a new feature.
We already do this for Linux audit scripts, so why not Windows as well?
:-)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]