Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:44 am 

Hello!

I hope this is something easy. I've successfully discovered and audited a subnet, a single computer, and now a few servers (both linux and Windows). Now, I'd like to audit & discover my domain.

Using the web "Audit a Windows Domain", the discover_domain and audit_windows scripts copied themselves over to the server I wanted to run this on (one of our DCs). I checked out both scripts to make sure variables were set correctly. From there, I opened an administrative command prompt and ran "cscript audit_windows.vbs" - cool, it audited the server I was on, and the results were posted back to Open-AudIT as expected. So my variables are correct for where the results should be posted.

I then ran "cscript discover_domain.vbs". It kicked off the max number of processes and worked its way through the list. Unfortunately, the computers never showed up in Open-AudIT.

One thing I noticed - in the head of audit_windows.vbs - when run on the local machine, it says local. When run through discover-domain.vbs, it says remote. I know, that makes sense, but I also read in the documentation to use local for now. Am I putting this instruction where it shouldn't be?

I see other script windows pop up that are running the audit_windows.vbs on the remote machine, so I know the script path is working and the information that flashes by in the script window seems specific to that machine, so I think it's working. There's just some breakdown in getting bit back to Open-AudIT.

Audit_windows.vbs is v. 1.2
discover_domain.vbs is v. 1.2

Any hints as to where I should start troubleshooting or what more information I should provide? Thanks!

-Stead Halstead
Eugene, OR 97401

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe hard set the url variable in the audit_windows.vbs script and don't bother setting it when you run discover_domain.vbs?

Also, in the Open-AudIT web interface, try this. Go to Menu -> admin -> List Groups and click the "update" icon on the right for the All devices group. Do you know see those computers in that Group?

Have you tried a Domain Audit from the web GUI? This should work as well... Menu -> admin -> Discovery -> Discover active Directory.

FYI - I have recently (as in the last couple of days) done some more work on Discovery to make it a bit more robust. v1.2.2 should be out soon (he says and then takes a month :-( )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:01 pm 

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't see a space in discover_domain for URL - so I don't think it's set. In audit_windows.vbs, the string is coded:
url = "http://192.168.2.172/index.php/system" - which seems correct. And the audit_windows.vbs script works if it's run on it's own (and results appear in Open-AudIT).

I started from the web gui, but for some reason it says it started the script but I don't see it kick off any audits. There's about 5 seconds of high CPU usage, but then it goes back to normal. Process viewer doesn't show any scripts being run. From the web gui, I did use a domain admin account to get this going, so it shouldn't be a permissions issue. The OA log shows:
Mar 14 21:53:35 openaudit 2502 C:discovery F:process_subnet Attempt to run audit_domain.vbs on 192.168.2.17 has succeeded.
Mar 14 21:53:35 openaudit 2502 C:discovery F:process_subnet SMBClient copy of audit_windows.vbs to 192.168.2.17 has succeeded.
Mar 14 21:53:35 openaudit 2502 C:discovery F:process_subnet SMBClient copy of audit_domain.vbs to 192.168.2.17 has succeeded.

Unfortunately, updating the groups didn't do the trick either. Very weird!

Does the script keep a log of why it might be stopping so quickly?

Thanks for the help!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]