Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:36 am 
Site Admin

I haven't done the software licensing section yet, so some of you might prefer Open-AudIT stick around... but I'm thinking I'd like to kill it once and for all. I want to redo the website and am thinking of moving the Open-AudIT forums to a similar state as the WINventory forums. I would then delete the WINventory forums. OAv2 would then become "Open-AudIT" going forward.

Bear in mind you can create reports (and there are a few already) that show the installs of various pieces of software (MS Office for example). That's half the work done - you then just need to manually add up how many licenses you have... It's not a perfect replacement for the functionality in Open-AudIT, but (if you ask me) that functionality is flawed anyway. The stuff that's going into OAv2 will be much, much better - just like the rest of it :D

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:24 am 

I vote for removing it. As it stands a new user hits the website and downloads an ancient OAv1 that's almost guaranteed not to work without updating from SVN. Then we spend time telling them to try OAv2 or getting them help with OAv1 which is pointless.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:58 pm 
Helper

I agree with jpa. V2 is now fairly stable and easier to manage (no SVN to negotiate) and if you wait a day or two the update scripts get sorted out :) A more prominent "Getting Started" (yes, I know it's in the README) might help things along.
Of course jpa might have nothing to do all day!

John

4 Windows 2003 Servers
20 Windows XP workstations
1 Windows 7 workstation
2 Ubuntu 11.10 servers
Misc other networked items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

I like this theme (I'm no graphic designer) - so if anyone wants to help out it's $50.
It caters for WordPress and BBPress (the combo I want to use).
[url]http://themeforest.net/item/supermassive-business-wordpressbuddypress-theme/132454?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=GhostPool[/url]
You can help me out via the donate button on the current sites homepage...

Hint, hint, hint :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:01 pm 
Helper

[quote="Mark"]I haven't done the software licensing section yet, so some of you might prefer Open-AudIT stick around... but I'm thinking I'd like to kill it once and for all. I want to redo the website and am thinking of moving the Open-AudIT forums to a similar state as the WINventory forums. I would then delete the WINventory forums. OAv2 would then become "Open-AudIT" going forward.

I think it is too early since OAv2 does not yet have the essential features that OAv1 has.

[quote="Mark"]Bear in mind you can create reports (and there are a few already) that show the installs of various pieces of software (MS Office for example). That's half the work done - you then just need to manually add up how many licenses you have... It's not a perfect replacement for the functionality in Open-AudIT, but (if you ask me) that functionality is flawed anyway. The stuff that's going into OAv2 will be much, much better - just like the rest of it :D
I need to register my licenses somewhere ...

Manual work is tiresome, boring and error prone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:04 am 
Contributor

I agree with jonbendtsen. I think is too early, although we are all excited about OAv2, it's still labeled a beta product. It doesn't make sense to retire one product functional (albeit old) product without having one that replaces it. In the marketing-product-management sense, you'll end up with a gap. (flame the MBA student here...)

Personally, I'm running both OA and OAv2(B6), cuz we still find some features from OA crucial to our operations, here's a quick list:
    Embed Alert reports to Homepage (discovered items, not Audited items, partition alerts, SMART alerts). Also push alerts (RSS feeds or email) need to be there.
    Search by fields within results (huge time saver)
    Links to Warranty, Product Details, Google images (just convenience)
    Disk usage graph (important for our labs)
    Software register
    Built-in Statistics and Queries page from get-go (OAv2 still requires end-user manual input which I have to redo with B6 :( )

I'm sure these features will inevitable be incorporated into OAv2, but in the mean time, I think retiring OA forums might be the wrong move.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:31 am 
Site Admin

[quote="el_geto"]Embed Alert reports to Homepage (discovered items, not Audited items, partition alerts, SMART alerts).

The way OAv2 is designed, this won't ever be on the Homepage of OAv2. These are Reports you can run against a given Group.

Having said that, if you want a specific Report for your homepage, go to code_igniter/system/application/controllers/main.php Edit this file and put the redirect (inside the INDEX function) to the given Group/Report. IE, if you want the Alerts Report for All Systems, change the redirect to "report/alerts/1". That should work assuming you have View rights on that Group. Of course if anyone else logs into OAv2 without that right, it will break... And you would have to type in main/list_groups to get to the old homepage (and be able to select a Group). I'll see if I can make it an option that you can set. It will test permissions first and if you don't have the required one, it reverts back to List Groups. Maybe I could make it configurable on a per user basis, hmmm... And I would need to put a link to the traditional homepage somewhere on every page...

[quote="el_geto"]Also push alerts (RSS feeds or email) need to be there.
The RSS feed would be the same data as a Report for a given Group, but you have to have Read permission on that Group. hmmm - anyone have an idea how to enable this? OAv2 uses coockies to store the auth. Can an RSS reader do this?

[quote="el_geto"]Search by fields within results (huge time saver)
Forgive me - it's been so long since I've even run Open-AudIT that I'm not sure what you mean...
You can Search through a given Group from the homepage in OAv2 though (but I suspect that's not what you mean).

[quote="el_geto"]Links to Warranty, Product Details, Google images (just convenience)
There are links for some systems (Dell, Compaq, IBM and Gateway) for each system on the individual System Display page. Does Open-AudIT do a better job here? (I might have to actually install Open-AudIT and see what it's doing). Attach a screenshot if you can...

[quote="el_geto"]Disk usage graph (important for our labs)
This is already in OAv2. On the System Display page, click on the drive letter for a given disk. Not very intuitive, I know - any recommendations of how to signal this (a clickable link) appreciated. Maybe a small icon before the drive letter?

[quote="el_geto"]Software register
Yeah, yeah :D As stated - about half of it is done. I really need to knock that one over...

[quote="el_geto"]Built-in Statistics and Queries page
What Stats and Queries do you want? What does Open-AudIT provide? It should be very easy to create a Report for them. If you go to Help -> Statistics there are some basic one's around the number of systems and their OS. But that's all. Happy to add more.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:41 pm 
Helper

[quote="Mark"][quote="el_geto"]Software register

Yeah, yeah :D As stated - about half of it is done. I really need to knock that one over...
can we help you with that somehow?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Admin

[quote="jonbendtsen"]can we help you with that somehow?

Not really.
I'll put up something for testing as soon as I've got it there...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:09 am 
Contributor

[quote="Mark"][quote="el_geto"]Search by fields within results (huge time saver)

Forgive me - it's been so long since I've even run Open-AudIT that I'm not sure what you mean...
You can Search through a given Group from the homepage in OAv2 though (but I suspect that's not what you mean).
See attached screenshot.

[quote="Mark"][quote="el_geto"]Links to Warranty, Product Details, Google images (just convenience)
There are links for some systems (Dell, Compaq, IBM and Gateway) for each system on the individual System Display page. Does Open-AudIT do a better job here? (I might have to actually install Open-AudIT and see what it's doing). Attach a screenshot if you can...
Duh, missed those links.

[quote="Mark"][quote="el_geto"]Disk usage graph (important for our labs)
This is already in OAv2. On the System Display page, click on the drive letter for a given disk. Not very intuitive, I know - any recommendations of how to signal this (a clickable link) appreciated. Maybe a small icon before the drive letter?
Oh, I had no idea those links were there, it looks like that's the only link to a second page so yes, bit counter intuitive. can the graphs be brought to the same page? If not, highlighting the drive or a simple "Go Here for History" link would do. I also noticed that mounted volumes also have links, but they take me to a blank page.

Unrelated question. I noticed that the sys_hw_graph_disk.timestamp is the "Submitted on" timestamp while system.timestamp is the "Audited on" timestamp. I created a group for disks running out of space, but I can't do sys_hw_graphs_disk.timestamp = system.timestamp to pull the latest disk audit.

[quote="Mark"][quote="el_geto"]Built-in Statistics and Queries page
What Stats and Queries do you want? What does Open-AudIT provide? It should be very easy to create a Report for them. If you go to Help -> Statistics there are some basic one's around the number of systems and their OS. But that's all. Happy to add more.
In OAv1 there's a quick list of stats like versions of OS type, IE, Firefox, System Models, etc (see attached)
I think an interface to Add Reports just like the one to Add Groups would help. Also we could start another thread and share the the XML.

Attachments:
oa2.png
oa2.png [ 16.46 KiB | Viewed 11011 times ]
OA.png
OA.png [ 27.84 KiB | Viewed 11011 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:12 am 
Helper

I would say that you need an official release before you get rid of OAv1. That being said, you are close enough that you could just go on a bug hunt of finish up the features that you are supper close on and call that OAv2.0.0. Then have bug fixes be OAv2.0.1 and so on, and feature releases be 2.1.0 and so on. And that should keep all the people who don't like being on "Beta" software happy and still let you continue doing what you are doing.

But considering you make a great product and give it away. You can really just do whatever you want and I will be happy.

-Shmee

Auditing: 366 Machines (XP/Win7/Ubuntu)
LDAP: Active Directory

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]