Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: What am i working on?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Printers. OMFG printers. They are killing me.
:-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:11 am 

<fairytaleland>It's 2012 and the world has gone digital. I think you can safely ignore printers now.</fairytaleland>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:13 am 
Site Admin

We have around 1500 of the damn things...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:35 am 
Contributor

I beg to differ on your view of paper vs digital.
I work for an ivy league university in the states, you can say every year students come in with the latest of the latest technology and faculty are using more online learning tools than ever before. So we all expected our printing services to plateau (or go down) with the advent of iPads and eReaders and we didn't ask for our tipical 5% budget increase this year for paper and ink. Oh boy, we couldn't have been more wrong, we ran out of money half way our second semester.
I don't know in the corporate world, but I can certainly say, paper is not dead and printers aren't going anywhere any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:00 am 

Everyone must have missed my <fairytaleland> tags. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Check out v8 of the audit script.
It now detects if a printer is actually connected (by IP or USB).
Unfortunately I haven't been able to detect a DOT4 connected printer. Some of them show in WMI (under Win32_USBhub), but not all and not consistently. Damn. For now, and DOT4 connected printer is assumed to actually exist (same with LPT1 connected printers).
I'm nearly ready to unleash beta6 on you all :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:33 am 

Tested the printer stuff. Two things:

I think the second nslookup where the portname starts with "IP_" (line 2136) is redundant as it's handled by the previous lookup code (line 2115) because you've populated printer_ip_address earlier at line 2037.

We sometimes have multiple printers that connect to the same shared printer port but use different configs. So we have a "Konica BW" and a "Konica Color" that connect to different server shares but have the same IP address. These audit fine but when the OA server processes these the multiple printers are collapsed into one because the system_key is the IP address rather than something like the UUID. Just FYI.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:16 am 

So.. about the printers...

I've been looking at how the collected data is handled with printers, and I think this issue stems from administrative styles, but I'm getting a weird correlation.

In the system table of OAv2 db, my printers end up looking a little funky.

Fields correlate to strange data for me:
system key = IP
or
system Key = PCHostname_device_Model (i.e. "as6861_HP_LaserJet_1300_PCL_6")
I think this latter result is only for locally connected printers.

UUID = printer share name (i.e.: \\asprint\PAS1)
or
UUID = printer model (hp_LaserJet_1300_PCL_6) this is also on locally connected devices

in the Printers report, I get no hostnames, just a list of IP addresses and onMouseOver information (only Status, Mfgr., and Model show up).

I know most of our hardware uses HP Jetdirect standards for communication as most of our devices are HP or Zebra (whose mini-print-servers are Jetdirect compatible)

The devices with hostnames on the report image were either static DNS pointers or I manually edited the entry on the printers report to try and make it more legible for my own use.

Additionally, You'll notice the 0.0.0.0 items at the top of the list. I'm wondering if these are the locally attached printers showing up in the system table as printers, but with no presentable information.

As always, thanks for the awesome work you do, and thanks for staying with it so well,
-Jacob

Attachments:
File comment: Printers Report
printersreport.png
printersreport.png [ 175.61 KiB | Viewed 10809 times ]

LDAP: Active Directory Server 2008 Domain
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:38 am 

While I'm at it, printers running on USB are crashing some of my audits (I have a win 7 x64 machine with an old HP large format printer on it with archaic drivers)

Mark, I'll PM you my actual audit window, but its crashing hard unless I disable printer auditing in my script for this machine.

LDAP: Active Directory Server 2008 Domain

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]