Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Disconnected Computers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:04 am 

I was going to start looking at this as a free audit software. My question is, how does the software handle disconnected users? That is, computers that are only connected to the corporate network through VPN a few hours every day. A non service based software like this would seem to have trouble, in my opinion, trying to pull data from a laptop computer in the field. Systems that are always on, always connected to the internal corporate network are generally always available to be queried for data like the VBscript does. The big question is the often disconnected field user. Let me know if you need more of an explanation of the scenario.

Is anyone using it successfully in this type of scenario?

Thanks for the insight.
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:19 am 

The computer audit is performed by a VBScript which uploads the data to the server or creates a file with the data which can be uploaded later. Although OpenAudit v2 currently doesn't have an automated way to upload this audit file data it wouldn't be too hard to get this going. So you could have a scheduled task perform an audit to file as often as you like and then another task to upload the data to the server when a VPN was established. Or, more simply, you could just have a task to perform the audit and upload to the server when a VPN was established.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:48 am 
Site Admin

What JPA said.
That's the tradeoff we make by having an agentless system.
No agent to install is good but it means this exact scenario can be an issue.
There are ways (hacks) around it as JPA described - but if you have to setup a scheduled task on a system you may as well have an agent... I might ask our Active Directory and/or networking guys at work their thoughts on this.

Does anyone know if there is some "flag" in Active Directory that triggers when a system connects (especially an off-network system as described)?

At work we just run a scheduled task every day (which audits 7,000 systems). If a system is not powered on, then it's Active Directory data is used. We eventually catch them. I think there about 30 systems (out of the 7,000) I haven't managed to catch yet. If these were important, I might bother but in the grand scheme, they're not.

Servers are important and they're always on and connected...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:12 pm 

With any AD user you can have a login and/or logout script which will execute when the user logs in and/or out of AD. You could use the same script for many users or have one per user.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:57 am 

[quote="jpa"]The computer audit is performed by a VBScript which uploads the data to the server or creates a file with the data which can be uploaded later. Although OpenAudit v2 currently doesn't have an automated way to upload this audit file data it wouldn't be too hard to get this going. So you could have a scheduled task perform an audit to file as often as you like and then another task to upload the data to the server when a VPN was established. Or, more simply, you could just have a task to perform the audit and upload to the server when a VPN was established.

This is what I was thinking I would do and have previously done with other tasks. Thanks jpa. Thanks Mark. I'm going to load this up on a VM tonight and give it a go.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:40 am 
Site Admin

If you look in the scripts directory from Open-AudIT (v1), you'll see a script designed to take any "offline" audit files and send them to the server. Shouldn't be too hard to adapt for v2. I'll take a look at this eventually...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:24 pm 
Helper

[quote="pwetter"]I was going to start looking at this as a free audit software. My question is, how does the software handle disconnected users? That is, computers that are only connected to the corporate network through VPN a few hours every day. A non service based software like this would seem to have trouble, in my opinion, trying to pull data from a laptop computer in the field. Systems that are always on, always connected to the internal corporate network are generally always available to be queried for data like the VBscript does. The big question is the often disconnected field user. Let me know if you need more of an explanation of the scenario.

Is anyone using it successfully in this type of scenario?

Yes, I have a few like that but on Open-AudIT v1

I punched a hole in my firewall, to a machine which runs apache proxy reverse, which uses https and requires a username and password. For additional security you could require a client certificate. I have increased the reporting using the build in scheduling software of the windows laptops, like every day, at boot/login and such.

The apache reverse proxy machine then forwards data as normal to my openaudit installation.

Alternatively the audit script could email the audit result, or IM it, or IRC, or ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:09 pm 

As a note, Since some of our locations don't have domains, We have put the openaudit script is <AllUsers>/Program Files/Start Menu/Startup
so that the machine is audited and submits its results whenever someone logs in.

-Dl

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]