Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: New Audit Script
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:14 am 

[quote="Mark"]Try again :-)

Succes!

Next objective: Audit my IP-RANGE using audit_list.vbs
I'll start a new thread if I experience problems.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:18 am 
Site Admin

[quote]Next objective: Audit my IP-RANGE using audit_list.vbs

If you supply a list into audit_list, all it does is enumerate that list and call audit_windows.
If you need to supply credentials, make sure your list looks like -
[code]array("COMPUTERNAME strUser=USER strPass-PASS", "etc", "etc")[/code]
It should "just work"... :D
NOTE - COMPUTERNAME should be a name or IP Address - shouldn't matter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:44 am 

[quote="Mark"]Try and enumerate the returned collection though and of course an error is thrown - but by cscript and not my function. Nasty. any ideas? anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller??? :D

This is because you're passing wbemFlagReturnWhenComplete (16 of the 48) to the ExecQuery.
If you change the 48 to 32 your stuff should work. This will mean that the call doesn't return until the query is complete which will slow down the processing a bit. With the 48 in there I think you can be working through the early colItems while the query is still processing the later ones.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:55 am 

Potential upgrades to audit_list.vbs:

• Pull the computer list from a file like in OAv1

• Allow audit_run_type = "remote" to pass the individual computer strUser and strPass to psexec rather than the remote_user and remote_password. The remote_* stuff doesn't work unless all the target computers have the remote_user defined with the same remote_password

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

[quote]If you change the 48 to 32 your stuff should work. This will mean that the call doesn't return until the query is complete which will slow down the processing a bit. With the 48 in there I think you can be working through the early colItems while the query is still processing the later ones.

Well that's interesting. I replaced all the 48s with 32s. I then ran both versions of the script locally on my desktop. The 32 script was faster. I then ran it on a remote system - the 32 script was still faster... I'll leave it that way for now (a simple search/replace is all that's needed to change it back).

[quote]Pull the computer list from a file like in OAv1

Can do - will spend some time on it.

[quote]Allow audit_run_type = "remote" to pass the individual computer strUser and strPass to psexec rather than the remote_user and remote_password.

Shouldn't be difficult to fix that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:33 am 

[quote="Mark"]
Well that's interesting. I replaced all the 48s with 32s. I then ran both versions of the script locally on my desktop. The 32 script was faster....

That's nice. I guess I should have said "may" slow it down. [url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384832%28v=vs.85%29.aspx]The documentation suggests[/url] wbemFlagReturnWhenComplete (0) [Synchronous Mode] may cause problems when you're querying large data sets. You're supposed to use wbemFlagReturnImmediately (16) [Semisynchronous Mode] + wbemFlagForwardOnly (32) to mitigate this but I guess the overhead slows it down. So if you're going to query thousands of event log entries you should use 48. Otherwise 32 should be okay unless you need to iterate over the return object multiple times like in the software installed_by stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:35 am 

[quote="Mark"][code]array("COMPUTERNAME strUser=USER strPass-PASS", "etc", "etc")[/code]
It should "just work"... :D

It does!

I edited audit_list.vbs[code]pc_array = array("IP-ADDRESS_1 strUser=USERNAME strPass=PASSWORD","IP-ADDRESS_2 strUser=USERNAME strPass=PASSWORD")[/code]
This is what I was looking for. An (very) affordable audit program for use in the schools I work in.
Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

I'll keep watching the board.
w.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2