Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:31 am 

I've done some searching, but I haven't found anything definitive on how to solve this issue.

I'm suffering from the dreaded duplicate UUID issue (03000200-0400-0500-0006-000700080009 UUID) I have probably close to 20 or so machines with it, thank you gateway. from what I've read, there was an option to use something like a MAC or another option other than UUID to sort machines with and was wondering if it still existed. If not, has anyone done a work around so I can list all my machines as from what I understand Open-AudIT uses UUIDs to sort your computers in the database.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:44 am 

Set uuid_type = "mac" in your audit.config file.

With this change OpenAudit will use the Mac address for the UUID. Assuming you don't swap network cards around a lot this should do what you want. Unfortunately this will break the OpenAudit history and the machines will appear as new. It's possible save the history by going through the database updating the old UUIDs to the new MAC addresses but there's not automated way to do that. It's all by hand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:59 am 

Is mac the only other option? I'm just worried that I'm going to runrun into the same issue with the mac addresses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:07 am 

From the commented-audit.vbs file:
[code]'uuid_type = "mac" '--> sets the index for each system record, "mac" is default, also "uuid" or "name"[/code]

I would not use "name" as that is likely to change. I don't use "UUID" because as you've found it's not always unique or existent like it should be. So I use "mac" because all our computers have NICs on the motherboard. If you get duplicate or nonexistent MAC addresses then you've got more stuff to worry about than OpenAudit having problems.

The main trouble with using the MAC address would be if you use the same network cards a lot between computers. Or you move NICs around a lot. Using the MAC address ties the computer information to the network card. This works for us better than UUID.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:34 am 

Thank you and sorry for the simple question, I just couldn't find the tags to use.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:45 am 

[quote="travis.chaney"]... I just couldn't find the...
Unless you read the source yourself this gets uttered a lot with OpenAudit. There aren't enough people working on it to produce a lot of great documentation. Especially as it has changed and expanded a lot over time.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]