Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:35 am 

Hi guys,
I'm new to open audit and mysql, so I'm hoping to get a little help here. I have been following the guide linked below to get open audit setup. Up until the setup of the open audit database, everything has been going smooth.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2307

Right now, I'm stuck on configuring the database(chapter 5, "setup" section). When i goto "http://localhost:8080" (using port 8080 because the default web page is running another app), i receive the following error "Could not connect: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)".

From what experience i have, this looks like an authentication problem on the mysql side of things, although i can log into mysql using "mysql -u root -p" then entering the password. I've double checked all the steps and i don't see what's wrong at this point. Could i be missing something on iis since im not using the default website? PHP seems to be working properly, based on the output from "http://localhost:8080/php.php".

I'm really not sure where to go from here and my google searches have been less than helpful. Any guidence would be appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:15 am 
My guess is that the user 'root'@'localhost' does not exist. Note that mysql can allow separate credentials for the same username depending on the host string used (e.g., inside ip, outside ip). You may need to create the localhost account (or it might have no password).

See [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/adding-users.html[/url].

Or [url]http://www.phpmyadmin.net/[/url] for web based administration of mysql.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:54 pm 

But if i am able to log into mysql with "root"@"localhost" using the password i defined, how would the account not be setup or missing a password in mysql? Is there another step im missing?

All I'm looking to accomplish now is to configure the mysql database for open audit. Is it possible to use a different account to setup the database?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:10 am 
I think you are logging in as username root, which is different from root at localhost. Access permissions are granular based on IP, and using mysql on the shell is different. You can use whatever username you want.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:17 am 

Ok, I'm at a loss here. Sorry for my inability to figure out whats going on here but something isn't adding up.

At this point, I'm able to log into mysql with "mysql --user=root mysql -p" then suply the password i defined in the GUI setup. I CANNOT log in with "root@localhost", so i figured that the account was missing (as you had stated). I figure the next step would be is to create "root@localhost", but i receive error 1396 <hy000>. At this point i thought maybe the account is setup but has no password, so i defined a password for "root@localhost", which worked. But after this i cannot go any further.

If i can configure open audit using any user account, then how do i specify that. The directions i was following (which is linked in my original post), state that once the mysql gui config is complete, goto http://localhost/ to configure the open audit database. But when i do that all i recieve is the original error message (Could not connect: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)).

So how do i config the open audit database using another account? What else am i doing wrong here? I have only followed the steps in the directions i linked above, so if there is a step missing there, please let me know.

Sorry if this is something basic that I'm just not seeing. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:53 am 
The best thing to do is read up on phpmyadmin and follow the MySQL link I gave. It may be that the root@localhost user doesn't have enough permissions.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]