Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:30 pm 

We have had comms issues at one site and after looking into the IP accoutning Open audit was generating alot of traffic to a few machines.
When checking the server the script was still running on these two machines and did not seem to be moving.
It appears for some reason the audits for a few machines is looping but I dont know where to start to resolve this or what details are needed!? Can anyone offer some advise?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Can you tell which section of the audit they appear to be hanging on ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:39 pm 

This is a really odd problem, I have since rebuilt my OA infrastructure and running on linux, but I am still using a windows server which runs schedules domain audits at 0600 and 2300. The only computers having issues are in one location but there does not appear to be anything different with comms/pc setups from any other depot we have.

The process is almost always locking at "Scheduled Tasks Info"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:27 pm 
Open-AudIT Fellow

[quote="bra1ne"]The process is almost always locking at "Scheduled Tasks Info"

Could you please let me know the audit.vbs line which causes the script to hang?
Also:
- are you auditing domain members or a list of PCs providing credentials from input_file ?
- what OS are running both auditing and audited hosts?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:00 pm 

Maybe a missing WMI timeout variable? See [url=http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3665#p16345]here[/url].

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:33 pm 
Open-AudIT Fellow

[quote="jpa"]Maybe a missing WMI timeout variable? See [url=http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3665#p16345]here[/url].

Thank you, it was added to audit.vbs at SVN rev. 1243.
TCPview running on the OA host showed persistent RPC connections to every non-domain members audited host, probably caused by the schtasks.exe command.
Deleting the oShell object at the end of scheduled tasks auditing seems doing the trick.
Before I had lots of errors event ID 529 and 680 logged on non-domain hosts audited using the pc_list_file, repeating endlessly for days until the rpcss service was restarted on the OA host: now I see only some of them during the audit process, until it reaches the end, no more repeating.
Hope this update could help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:40 pm 

Hi,

I will update with new audit.vbs and see how it goes. just for info they are XP machines and I was auditing from domain members

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]