Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:04 pm 

I've been using Open Audit for over a year now and I still keep finding new features on it that I hadnt spotted before!

What does seem to keep happening is that I keep running out of space and have to keep increasing the size of the hard disk (it's on a VM so I can do that).

We've not brought many computer (5 or 6) in the last 6 months or so yet the database for Open Audit seems to have grown a lot!

In the past when I've noticed the hard disk space is getting low, by the time I get round to looking at the server it has freed some space up somehow.

Is open-audit auto-pruning or something or can I expect the database to continually grow over time?

We have around 300 machines that are audited which isnt that many.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:24 am 

It's gotten to the stage now where I have had to completely remove OpenAudit and then re-install from scratch and start all over again - of course I have taken the opportunity to try out the RC version :)

I'm dissapointed no one knows how big the database should get and if it auto-prunes itself or not or just keeps growing and growing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:14 am 

Unless you delete systems or prune out old audit data the database will only grow. Pruning old audit data is not a feature of OpenAudit so you'll need to do it yourself. The database size is related to the number of systems and their contents. I see from another post that you're auditing every 2 hours. Unless you need audit data at this resolution I'd suggest reducing your audit frequency.

You never state the actual size of your MySQL database or its growth rate. Since you're not adding machines much just perform an audit of your machines, note the database size, perform another audit of your machines and see how much your database has grown. Multiple by your audit frequency and size your VM disk appropriately.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]