Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:07 am 

Hello

First I wanted to let you all know how much I love this product. This is a great piece of software and I have fully replaced OCS Inventory with Open-Audit, because it is much more informative, has more features, and seems to be much more flexible.

I have this setup and running, with my workstations being audited with a shutdown script at the end of the day and my servers being audited by scheduled task in the evening. So far this is doing exactly what I want with the exception of notifiying me when new software packages are discovered. Is there a way to have OA email me when newly installed software is detected on any of the audited machines?

Thanks in advance for any replies and I look forward to hearing from anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:29 pm 

I have the RSS feed set up in Firefox using the RSS Ticker add on (http://www.chrisfinke.com/addons/rss-ticker/) , so there is a Rolling ticker type display on my PC of all of the newly detected software in real time. I simply need to hover over the entries as they scroll past, and it tells me who's PC the offending item is on. Click on the link and it brings up the PC in OA.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:56 am 

That is actually a really cool way to do it. I checked out the ticker and seen that it will disappear when I have viewed all the feeds. So the ticker would reappear once a new item was discoverd, very nice. I was looking for an email way to do this as I will not always be near my PC and would like more quick access to this information, but I can work with this.

How did you get OA to feed the information to the ticker?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:12 am 

I actually figured it out for myself as it was right in front of my face. Thanks for the idea and I have it working!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:43 am 

Glad you like it, probably better than an email 'cos its animated, and therefore more likely to grab your attention.

It has certainly cut down on the number of unwanted apps our users install, especially as it is now a QA issue if they transgress. Lots of paperwork and manager disaproval does the trick :twisted:

Anything that can display an RSS feed can in theory be used to see this info, so you dont need to restict it to just one person checking it (as you might with an email) I have this set up for some other members of the IT staff too, and it is also part of our daily checklist.

Since it is more or less real time (it only actually updates every time an audit is run, although the feeder polls more frequently), you might well be able to sneak up on the offending individual before they have even had a chance to use iTunes, eMule or the Nokia Phone suite, and catch them red handed. :evil: :lol:

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]