Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:14 pm 

Does anyone know whether it is possible to use open audit with microsoft sql 2000 or 2005? and how would i go about setting it up?

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:26 pm 

No, not yet. But Mark is working on some code that will allow this. Meantime, you can access the database directly using ODBC and the MySL ODBC driver.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:54 pm 

any time scale when i beta version might be available, i would be interested in testing

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:57 am 

Not sure, Mark has other things on his mind at the moment, so watch this space.

Why so keen on MSSQL? MySQL is every bit as good(IMHO), and free. :D

If you want to see how to access the data from other apps using the MySQL ODBC connector look at the Using Open-Audit from Open Office tutorial from the Admin menu.

The method is simple.

1) Install Open Audit (use XAMPP if you are unfamiliar with installing MySQL etc see this post... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1414 )

2) Install the ODBC connector from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/5.1.html set it up as the same user you used to connect to the database when setting it up.

3) Connect to it using Open Office (or Excel, Word or whatever) as per the example in the tutorial.

OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:47 pm 

I'm interestet in a sql server connection too. And the answer to why... We have purchased a ms sql server for a lame company application and now its used for nearly 1% of what we could do with that sql server :D So why should someone install two different sql servers? :D But I will try it with mysql :)

p.s. sorry for my english. need some practise I know..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

If your server is only used lightly, there is nothing stopping you from installing MySQL as well.
They use different IP Ports, so there should not be any conflict.

As to when OAv2 will be out - no timeframe just yet, but you can check for progress in the "General" forum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:22 am 

Some companies, such as mine, have significant restrictions on software, open source or other wise. We must use MSSQL for several applications, and installing items such as MySQL are not allowed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:33 am 
Site Admin

I can only assume people make these policy decisions based on the thought that they'll only have to support 1 type of database, 1 type of web server, etc. They therefore only need a limited set of skills (read: people) for this, and save on costs. That's about the _only_ way I can see to justify that sort of decision.

That's pretty much the case where I am working at the moment - pretty much an all MS environment.

I hope for OAv2 to get around this by selling / renting / supporting an "appliance".
You're not installing a program, I am selling (renting) you a service that runs on this machine here - which I supply and manage.
Like the firewall and spam appliances that are available. Or the Google appliance.

If people _still_ wont go for it, then I can only ask - what software do your routers run ? Your switches ? Your firewall ? Do _all_ your appliances run this same software ? Some will see the light - and they won't be "supporting" it anyway - I will. Others, I'll have to let go. That's where the community comes in. If someone wants to make OAv2 run on SQL Server, it shouldn't be hard. The customer can then download and run it themselves, and ask for support on the forum.

So, it's the usual Open Source money making idea - provide support and services, but let people hack/use the code for free.

Thoughts ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:01 pm 

If these decisions were genuinely based on saving costs, then surely the question should be why cant we make all our applications run on MySQL since it if free and open source.

Usually the decision is one of not wanting to leave their comfort zone. Micro$ofts FUD (fear uncertainty doubt) spin ... use Micro$oft and everybody will be able to support it, but use anything else and you are bound to run in to trouble, seems to be the only genuine obstacle to embracing MySQL, and open source software in general. Corporates just "don't get it". How can anything good be free? My reply, breath, that's free too.

Well that's my slant on things :twisted: , but no doubt others will disagree.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:57 pm 

Hi,

It has been some time since last post here. So I thought i ask again in same place: "Is it possible to get openAudit work on MS SQL"?

Reason why I want to run it on MS SQL is exactly the same You are discussed here already!I looked around in forum but didnt find answer. I really hope You guys say "No!" then I can probably install linuxbox for openAudit :)

Thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]