Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: confusing stuff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:57 am 

I have everything installed and running but I don't know how to tell the system to audit my machine. I cant run that .vbs script for some reason. Also, how does all the information get pulled from each computer, does a script need to be put on each?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:24 pm 
Here are some potential resources:

[url=http ://www.open-audit.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1464]How To: Audit a domain.[/url]
    [url=http ://www.open-audit.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1393]How To: Understand how it works...[/url]

The script can be run remotely or on each machine.

Let me know if you still need help after reading those. If I wasn't heading to bed, I'd write a bit more. Just bump the thread in the morning and I'll try and help you out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:16 pm 

I get an error when trying to run the audit.vbs. The error is a syntax error on line 26 which would be[code]ExecuteGlobal CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").OpenTextFile("audit.config").ReadAll[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:25 pm 

You need both the audit.vbs file and the audit.config file in the same location.
You run cscript audit.vbs, and it "includes" the audit.config file (which you will need to edit to match your requirements).

If audit.config is not there, or not readable, you will see the error you report.

Last edited by A_Hull on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:26 pm 

The files are both in the same file location. I didn't use the cscript part when running the .vbs file. But I get the following output when I run the script. http://www.warsaw.k12.in.us/files/untitled.bmp

What user needs read rights on the file. I think it is readible I just want to make sure I have the right user.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:54 am 

You have an error on the config file somewhere.

Bear in mind that the config file is executed as if it were a .vbs file, in order to set the variables in the main .vbs file.

To debug, try this...take a copy of the config, rename it config.vbs and run it with cscript config.vbs and you should see the line causing the problem!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:31 am 

I was able to run the audit but nothing gets entered into my database. I tried installing the items that are needed after you complete the open audit setup but alot of the files I couldn't get because the links were broke. Can I get that list on here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:48 am 
There are actually no items that are needed anymore. Additional items such as nmap are cool, but not necessary (and not used) by the audit.vbs.

hmmm... Can you check what online is set to in the config file? If you are running the code from sourceforge (the zip file), you'll need to set that to "ie". This is because xml submit was not implemented in that version. I suspect that is the issue you are having.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:16 am 

That is the issue. This software rocks and thank you to those that are developing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:38 am 

One other quick question, Is there a way to hide the Admin link in the navigation unless your at the actual terminal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:41 am 

[quote="sirhcchris"]One other quick question, Is there a way to hide the Admin link in the navigation unless your at the actual terminal?

The short answer is... No... but that gives me an idea....
:P

In the mean time, if this is a big problem either re-name admin_config.php or, modify the line in include_menu_array.php in section 40.

BTW you can set the software to need a login name and password, which hides EVERYTHING from prying eyes.

You can also use https... with the caveat that you will need to save a certificate on any machine posting data to the server if you want to submit data using https.

In Admin> Config> set....
Use https://:
Use Passwords:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:22 am 

I enter a subnet for the system to audit but when I run the audit, it goes through the whole domain. Any reason this is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:42 am 
The subnet is only used when you run an nmap scan (nmap can detect ip devices on your network such as printers, routers, etc).

The audit currently can audit a list, or the domain. You can limit what computers are audited based on the ldap query. If you add OU information, it will audit that OU. Let us know if you need help generating that query.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:18 pm 
Contributor

[quote]You need both the audit.vbs file and the audit.config file in the same location.

Actually, this isn't accurate. If my memory serves me correctly "audit.config" is expected to be in the current directory when CSCRIPT.EXE is run, which may not be the same directory as where "audit.vbs" resides.

e.g.
C:\CSCRIPT.EXE C:\Script\audit.vbs
will not work even if "audit.config" is also in C:\Script, but will work if it is in C:\.

To make the script function as expected I have perviously proposed a fix here:
[url]http://www.open-audit.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1171&highlight=[/url]

A minor issue in an otherwise excellent product BTW.

Cheers, Nick.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]