Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:37 pm 

Hi. I have installed the latest code from the SVN trunk, but seem to have software and hardware missing. This doesn't seem to happen on PC's connected to the domain I audit from, but if I inventory a machine that is not part of the domain, the software and hardware seems to be missing.

This seems to happen on laptops more than anything. If I use "online=p", I can see the software listed in the report, but not from Open-Audit. Using "online=yesxml" or "online=ie" does not seem to solve the problem either.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:11 pm 

Sorry - I need to be a little clearer here. I cannot seem to get any partition info, and all software installed is missing, including the hotfixes.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:49 pm 

Can anyone help with this ? :D

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:00 pm 

[quote="mcutting"]Can anyone help with this ? :D

Thanks

Most likely the method of posting to the database, try changing this line in audit.config

[code]
online = "ie/yesxml/p" or whatever to
[/code]
to
[code]
online = "ie"
ie_submit_verbose = "y"
ie_auto_submit = "n"
[/code]

Have a look at what is submitted. Is the data in the submitted form?

(This could also be a bug, so let me know how you get on. BTW there is an update on the SVN to include a database backup facility. I might need to see what has been posted to the database, using this so perhaps youo could update again, keep your include_config.php and audit.config files, as these haven't changed, that way you wont need to do a complete re-install).

Last edited by A_Hull on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:06 pm 

I tried this already - unfortunately, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. If I use online="p", then I can see the information being posted. If I set audit.config to use online="n", the information shows up.

However, if I try to paste this information using the add a PC facility, the information appears to be incomplete, and I cannot submit the information (does this make sense?).

I have updated from the SVN this morning. Does the backup facility work ? I get an error saying the the .sql file isn't writable ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:42 pm 

[quote="mcutting"]I tried this already - unfortunately, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. If I use online="p", then I can see the information being posted. If I set audit.config to use online="n", the information shows up.

However, if I try to paste this information using the add a PC facility, the information appears to be incomplete, and I cannot submit the information (does this make sense?).

I have updated from the SVN this morning. Does the backup facility work ? I get an error saying the the .sql file isn't writable ?

Thanks

The backup does work, however you may need to check the perms on the OA folder. If you are struggling, create the backup folder (called backup obviously) under the OA folder manually and set to mode 777 (unix) or everyone can write (Windows) run the backup again. Don't spend too much time on this if you cant get it to work. From what you have told me this looks like a bug. See http://www.open-audit.org/phpbb2/viewto ... 2&start=15

We are working to fix this.

In the mean time, what is the machine in question. How long does the audit take to complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:47 pm 

I think I understand what you are saying. (although online="p" doesn't post anything to the webserver as far as I remember it just produces a html report)

Okay. So when using online="n" a computername.txt file is created with the correct information. This includes lines that say
[code]software^^^ ??? ^^^ ??? ^^^??? ^^^ ??? ^^^??? ^^^??? ^^^??? ^^^???^^^???^^^[/code]

You then paste this information into
Admin -> Add a system

and click submit.

What happens next? What is the output of the next screen.

If you wish mail me the computername.txt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:50 pm 

Thanks for that. By the looks of this previous post, this is along the same lines as the issues I have. The particular laptop in question (it actually affects all models, so this might not help) is a SONY VAIO PCG-TR3AP. The audit only takes around 20-25 seconds, and looks as though it checks everything.

Could it be the case that certain elements aren't being inventoried at all ? For example, I can see the physical disk inside the hardware section, along with the processor, NIC, and BIOS, but no partitions, battery, display, mouse, keyboard or USB information. There is also no software listed.

I have also noticed that sometimes PC's on the domain have partition info missing. This is most noticeable when performing a remote inventory. Taking an inventory locally of a domain machine does not exhibit this issue.

Does this shed any more light, or do you still need a copy of the DB ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:54 pm 

d l dave - what is your email address ? I don't want to paste the info here for privacy reasons. I can of course give you a copy of the COMPUTERNAME.txt file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:49 pm 

Please could you just give me the computername.txt just private message me in these forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:04 pm 

Just PM'd it to you d l dave. Thanks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:17 pm 

Okay. Thanks for that. I can post it into my database fine and see all the software. Like Andrew said, it is probably to do with the bug he is seeing.

Please could you
Admin -> Add a system

Paste the computer info you sent me.

Click submit.

Copy the whole of the next page and private message it to me.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:21 pm 

Done. Just PM'd the output page to you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:53 pm 

Okay. I think I can see the problem.

I guess you are running mysql with strict checking and we are trying to insert an empty string into an integer column (which fails!). The strict checking is set in your my.cnf file. You can turn it off by commenting out the sql-mode= line and restarting mysqld.

The other way to fix it is to try this quick hack. Open admin_pc_add_2.php...

Under (line 121 i think)
[code]$count = 0;[/code]

add
[code]
$sql = "SET @@session.sql_mode=''";
$result = mysql_query($sql);
[/code]

And try adding the pc again.

You only need to change either the php file or my.cnf not both.

Let me know if it gets any further.

Last edited by d.l.dave on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:03 pm 

Excellent stuff !!

At first, it didn't make any difference. After I deleted the machine from the database, and ran the audit locally again (online=yesxml), all the hardware and software is now listed. :D

Many thanks for your help. :D

BTW: Will this new code be added to the SVN trunk ?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next