Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:23 am 

Hi all,
I just posted this in a Linux related topic in the Win Inventory forum (sorry) so I'm reposting it here where it belongs.

I was able to run Winventory on my Debian box perfectly and smoothly. I installed OpenAudit on it and its not playing as nice :(

When I go to my Windows box, surf to the site, Admin | Audit My Machine, the vbs file launches and then it dies with an ugly error:

Windows Script Host
Script: C:\Documents and Settings\ramirezh\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\<variable folder>\audit[1].vbs
Line: 26
Char: 1
Error: File not found
Code 800A0035
Source Microsoft VBScript runtime error

When I go into that file on my linux box and lookup line 26 it shows:

ExecuteGlobal CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").OpenTextFile("audit.config").ReadAll

Sooooo, I'm not sure where I went wrong :?: everything seems to be good except for this part (well, I haven't tested the domain audit, I figured I'd try this first).

Many thanks and GOOD STUFF MARK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:30 am 
Contributor

Since the vbs script is trying to run locally on your computer you will need to enter the UNC path to your server for the audit.config file

ExecuteGlobal CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").OpenTextFile("\\UNC\PATH\HERE\audit.config").ReadAll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:39 am 
Or copy audit.vbs and audit.config to another location. When you click the link from IE, it only allows you to download the audit.vbs file, which of course does rely on audit.config (by default) being in the same directory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:03 pm 

:idea:

In the Winventory forum I described a method for launching rdp using winventory.. see
http://www.open-audit.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1007

The method could be used to throw any kind of file back to the client, not just a .rdp file.

In theory we can get OA to create a zip of the audit.vbs and audit.config generated specifically for the client. We can then throw this to the client with instructions to unzip to the desktop and run the audit.vbs and bingo we can audit remotely from the browser.

I'm sure with a bit of imagination we can make this silky smooth.

Your comments?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:43 pm 
That's unnecessarily complicated. :D Instead, we could just program the audit.vbs to look for the config file on the web server. That would be really simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:46 pm 

Thanks guys very much for the quick replies!!

Alright, so I put the file on a Windows file share and changed the path you mentioned. The script didn't crash, but the script is taking an AWFULLY long time to run as well as taking up my all my CPU. I hate sounding ignorant, and I'm sure it was something I did wrong because it worked very smoothly in the previous version.

thanks again guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:07 am 
Are you doing a domain audit or just your pc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:22 am 
Contributor

Sounds like your running a domain audit and it's default is 20 at a time....I did that before i killed my machine :-p

Either make the change in the .vbs script to allow you to pick a pc, or edit your config file again :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:28 am 

[quote="mikeyrb"]Are you doing a domain audit or just your pc?

Just my machine.

I have my Debian box running OpenAudit, I have XP on my desktop. I go to the site, I run the VB (error-free thanks to you guys), and it just goes on for a LONG time...I have to end up stopping it myself since it slows me down that much for that long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:35 am 

[quote="mikeyrb"]That's unnecessarily complicated. :D Instead, we could just program the audit.vbs to look for the config file on the web server. That would be really simple.

OK thats a much smarter idea! Now why did I not think of that! (OK 'cos youre much smarter than me obviously, no need to rub it in). :roll:

I see this could be a real neat way of doing things.

Audit.vbs generated dynamically with a ref to a URL coded into it where it can get the rest of it's config options.

This could also be a dynamic page based on the IP of the calling machine, or pretty much anything the VBScript decides to pass back to the web page. For example Domain name, IP Address, Windows Machine name, Login credentials or whatever. Using this method we could configure almost any number of ways of getting the info in. For example if I call the script/web page from "my machine" it does a full domain audit, but if a call it from a user's machine it just audits the local box.

I've added this to the developer's forum 'cos its such a good idea.

Last edited by A_Hull on Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:41 am 
Contributor

RamirezH

Past your config file here for us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:11 am 

Will do!

Here is my audit.config file

[code]
audit_location = "l"
verbose = "n"
online = "ie"
strComputer = "."
ie_visible = "n"
ie_auto_submit = "y"
ie_submit_verbose = "y"
ie_form_page = "http://testrt.domain.com/openaudit/admin_pc_add_1.php"
input_file = ""
email_to = ""
email_from = "OpenAudit@domain.com"
email_server = "emailbox.domain.com"
audit_local_domain = "n"
local_domain = "LDAP://"
hfnet = "y"
Count = 0
number_of_audits = 20
script_name = "audit.vbs"
monitor_detect = "y"
printer_detect = "y"
software_audit = "y"
uuid_type = "name"
[/code]

Here is the line I where I changed the path as suggested above

[code]ExecuteGlobal CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").OpenTextFile("\\serverpath\audit.config").ReadAll[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:20 am 
Contributor

hmmm....

You should download the latest SVN since the config files have changed from the release posted on sourceforge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:24 am 

Thanks imacs, do you suggest just getting the config file and vbs?

edited to add: didn't mean for that to be an ignorant question, just want to make sure I do as I was told and not mess with anything I don't need to mess with

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:31 am 

[quote="RamirezH"]Thanks imacs, do you suggest just getting the config file and vbs?

edited to add: didn't mean for that to be an ignorant question, just want to make sure I do as I was told and not mess with anything I don't need to mess with

I would get everything, 'cos there have been quite a few changes. Keep a copy of your include.config file or at least use the same settings as before. I don't think the database has chaged, but if you haven't got any data to wory about, drop the database re-create it and re-run the setup. Also try using the online = "yesxml" option rather than online = "ie" once you have the new version. This posts the data directly rather than using Internet Exploiter to post.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next