Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Do you prefer a Windows or Linux hosted box for OA?
Windows 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
Linux 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:10 pm 
Helper

What are the advantages to putting Open-AudIT on a Windows box, as opposed to a Linux box?

Besides the obvious: Stability, Price, Ability to Manipulate OS

Currently, I have OA loaded on a SUSE 10 workstation for our prototyping needs. Now that we have the logon script (Thanks to Mark!) functional we are starting to notice that OA is awesome. We want the ability to remove software if need be, and we want the right platform for the job. Getting a Windows server to put this thing on is no problem, whatsoever.

What are your opinions as Windows vs. Linux for Open-AudIT. I don't really care about other applications besides that. Thank you for participating!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:15 pm 

We have only linuxbased Webserver for production use. But, I'm developing under WAMP (XAMPP).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:18 am 
The only advantage I could see is a simple method for single sign-on. Using IIS, you can get the username of the person accessing the web page, and authenticate with that. It would be a pretty simple change to add in. Perhaps Apache on windows can do that also? I've played with it a bit using LAMP, but I've only had limited success. Other than that, I see no advantage to having it on a windows box. You would theoretically be using the same exact software (WAMP vs. LAMP). It shouldn't matter right now what platform you run it on. I started using OA on my win2k workstation using WAMP, and then I moved the data to a LAMP box. So, there is no issue changing platforms if you need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:25 am 
Helper

Sounds good. Here are some more questions for the Open-AudIT gurus.

1- Is OA capable of removing software packages from audited machines, if not what product is recommended to do so, if any?

2- Is OA capable of sending out Windows updates? I thought I saw something on there that could do that. Maybe I was just seeing things.

We are typically a Linux-based environment, anyway. I'm new to OA, so I need to get some information before we deploy into production.

Thank you guys so much for the input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:32 am 
1) No. You may want to check out [url]http://wpkg.org/[/url]. Otherwise, Microsoft sells SMS, which I'm guessing is a pretty decent product. WMI can uninstall MSI packages remotely, but sadly not every product uses MSI packaging. You can google for information on writing a script for that.

2) No. Microsoft gives this feature at no charge ([url=http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateservices/default.mspx]Windows Server Update Services[/url]). That is the recommended way of sending updates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:36 am 
Helper

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:22 am 

OpenSource Software-Management:

http://www.opsi.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:17 am 

On the subject of Unix versus Windows, sort of... but Slightly off topic however, (we seem to have drifted somewhat any way), if you are a fan of the old Sun Cobalt RAQ web servers, take a look at....[url]http://www.nuonce.net/bluequartz.php[/url] This effectively turns a modest spec PC into a Cobalt Clone (without the sexy blue exterior unfortunately).

For those who have no idea what I am talking about... [url]http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/Cobalt/Cobalt.html[/url]

Its not quite a LAMP in the accepted sense, but it is certainly one of the smartest and easiest bits of free software I have seen recently. Worth an evenings fiddling about for a Linux based milti site hosting email DNS, PHP, MySQL, Apache and PHP box with a sleek proffesional GUI set up through a web interface. Redhat Enterprise based too. What more could you ask for, (apart from some smart blue LEDS of course).

Give me another hour or so and I might see if I can get openaudit hosted on this old compaq EVO :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]