Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:39 am 

I wrote a custom report that we need for state requirements that has things like memory, cpu type, desktop/laptop, etc. One of the things asked for in the state report is video resolution. My report has blanks in it, and upon digging in the SQL database, there isn't anything in the video_current_horizontal_res or vertical_res columns on any system. I have video_description, _manufacture, _memory but none of the other fields are populated. I'm assuming my audit.vbs is not collecting/sending it but unsure how to troubleshoot which it is. More than happy to attach any of my docs/scripts.

Running OAv2 XAMPPlite on a Windows 2008r2 server with MySQL 5.1.4.1. Attached is my default audit vbs.

Attachments:
OA2audit.vbs.txt [242.8 KiB]
Downloaded 328 times

Server Info: OpenAudit v 1.0.[color=#404000]3[/color]
Auditing: 5000+ machines (Public School District)
LDAP: Active Directory
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:02 am 

The attached script is from the old version of OpenAudit which is no longer maintained. Your problem description also indicates you're using the older OpenAudit.

That said configure your audit.config file with keep_audit_log = "y" and view the resulting computername.txt output file. What do you have for the line beginning with video^^^?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:54 am 

I'm showing v 1.0 on the home page after logging in. I upgraded after the opmantek changeover.

The filename might be misleading. I had a group policy that worked and don't like fixing things that aren't broke....

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''
' Video Information '
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''
comment = "Video Info"
Echo(comment)
On Error Resume Next
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_VideoController",,48)
For Each objItem in colItems
If (Instr(objItem.Caption, "vnc") = 0 AND Instr(objItem.Caption, "Innobec SideWindow") = 0) then
LeftString = Left(objItem.DriverDate, 8)
form_input = "video^^^" & int(objItem.AdapterRAM / 1024 / 1024) & "^^^" _
& clean(objItem.Caption) & "^^^" & clean(objItem.CurrentHorizontalResolution) & "^^^" _
& clean(objItem.CurrentNumberOfColors) & "^^^" & clean(objItem.CurrentRefreshRate) & "^^^" _
& clean(objItem.CurrentVerticalResolution) & "^^^" & clean(objItem.Description) & "^^^" _
& Left(LeftString, 4) & "/" & Mid(LeftString, 5, 2) & "/" & Right(LeftString, 2) & "^^^" _
& clean(objItem.DriverVersion) & "^^^" & clean(objItem.MaxRefreshRate) & "^^^" _
& clean(objItem.MinRefreshRate) & "^^^" & clean(objItem.DeviceID) & "^^^"
entry form_input,comment,objTextFile,oAdd,oComment
form_input = ""
if online = "p" then
oIE.document.WriteLn "<tr bgcolor=""#F1F1F1""><td>Video Card: </td><td>" & clean(objItem.Caption) & " mb</td></tr>"
oIE.document.WriteLn "<tr><td>Video Memory: </td><td>" & int(objItem.AdapterRAM / 1024 / 1024) & "</td></tr>"
oIE.document.WriteLn "<tr bgcolor=""#F1F1F1""><td>Video Driver Date: </td><td>" & Left(LeftString, 4) & "/" & Mid(LeftString, 5, 2) & "/" & Right(LeftString, 2) & "</td></tr>"
oIE.document.WriteLn "<tr><td>Video Driver Version: </td><td>" & clean(objItem.DriverVersion) & "</td></tr>"
end if
end if
Next

When I do a WMIC query, the data is there, just not making it into the DB. I'll make the change in my audit.config and see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:09 am 

Is there a more current audit.vbs that I can download? I would love to have one that didn't throw errors on any computer with mysql installed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:35 am 

Woops. You're right. I don't have that information in my new OpenAudit DB either. I'll try to see why that is.

But the audit file you attached is for the old OpenAudit and not what you're using to audit in the latest version.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:46 am 

Reviewing the latest audit script I see that the info is no longer audited by OpenAudit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:35 am 
Site Admin

JPA is correct - your audit script is from an old version of Open-AudIT. If you are using the newer version, this script will create a result but the server will not process it. The new results are XML formatted.

If you are actually using the new version, I'd suggest you update to the very latest (v1.0.3 as at this post).

Display resolution is a user attribute (different users on the same PC can use different resolutions), therefore we do not collect it any more. We don't collect any 'user' attributes (mapped drives, etc). We do now collect some extra fields for your monitors though - size and aspect ratio. Here's the resulting section from my laptop.

[code]<monitors>
<monitor>
<manufacturer>Samsung</manufacturer>
<device_id>344C</device_id>
<manufacture_date>01/2008</manufacture_date>
<model>Generic PNP Monitor</model>
<serial>Serial Number Not Found in EDID data</serial>
<edid_version>1.3</edid_version>
<aspect_ratio>16:10</aspect_ratio>
<size>15.9</size>
</monitor>
</monitors>[/code]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 am 
Site Admin

[quote="cmcd2820"]Is there a more current audit.vbs that I can download? I would love to have one that didn't throw errors on any computer with mysql installed.

"audit.vbs" is an outdated file. The current audit script is "audit_windows.vbs". Seem's like you are using an unsupported, outdated and old version of Open-AudIT. I'd suggest you install the latest version from [url]http://www.open-audit.org/downloads[/url].

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:21 am 

Where are the upgrade instructions for going from an XAMPPLite v1.0 to v1.0.3? I tried the upgrade.txt steps in the open-audit folder and it didn't do well, so I reverted back to 1.0. Since my DB is current can't I just stop the Apache service and copy a folder over like we used ta do prior to v1.0?

**EDIT**

For example, I downloaded 1.0.3 and in the upgrade.txt it has this:
UPGRADE YOUR DATABASE
Linux and Windows.
Log on to the web interface as admin and go to Help -> About. Upgrade the database.

But when I do the upgrade and go to Help -> About there is no "Upgrade" for the database. Also, my version still has 1.0 and the_version is still 20130512 on the Edit Config page.

Here is my "About" page:

You are running version 1.0 of Open-AudIT.
Your Host is: OPENAUDIT, and it's OS is Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard.
Your database platform is mysql (version 5.1.41).
Your web server is Apache/2.2.14 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.3.1 .

I'm soooo confused....

Last edited by cmcd2820 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:36 am 

Just realized I posted the old audit.vbs from my old server (pre v1.0)

Here is the current one I was using.

DOH!

Attachments:
audit.zip [50.92 KiB]
Downloaded 315 times

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]