Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Domain Auditing/Tuning
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:12 am 
Helper

Hello everyone! I have been using OA for a couple years now through multiple facilities and am just amazed at it's development.

I used to run the scripts locally on every networked machine via log in scripts in an openSuse/openLDAP/Samba environment. Now I am in an AD environment and using a spare desktop (XP Pro) as the auditing machine. The DB is on an openSUSE 11.x box. I support a healthcare facility with 24/7 coverage so I have the scheduled task auditing 4 times a day.

I have 40 machines being audited at once (about 1600 devices total) and the auditing usually goes pretty quick but the CPU is pegged at 100%. It's a P4 @ 2.8Ghz with 1.5GB RAM. It's no power house by today's standards but it's only function is to run this script via a service account. The box stays at 100% under the audit.vbs script is closed.

What concerns me is that the script continues to run and I had to create a batch file which kills the task after a certain period of time. Here is my script:

[code]cscript "C:\Scripts\OA\Current\audit.vbs"
sleep 7200
Script_Shutdown_Script.bat
[/code]

The Script_Shutdown_Script.bat file is just a short script that kills any leftover processes from the audit script.

I hate to set the script to audit like 20 machines or something at a time since I want the process to go relatively quick. I'm running the latest release.

Thanks!

LDAP: Active Directory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:31 pm 

The 100% CPU usage is an issue for me too, it seems that the script is very processor hogging, for no good reason that I can think of. Anybody any ideas?

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:03 am 

[quote="harner"]What concerns me is that the script continues to run and I had to create a batch file which kills the task after a certain period of time. Here is my script:

Just a thought...if you are not using an input file, make sure that line is commented out in your audit.config like below.

'input_file = "pc_list_file.txt"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:33 am 
Helper

I commented the line out and am running a test script now. Thanks.

As for the 100% CPU Utilization, I think it has to do with the crazy amount of processes that kick off at the same time.

I have an i7 box at home. Maybe I should try it on that? That thing barely breathes at any given time so it should be interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:12 pm 

[quote="harner"]I commented the line out and am running a test script now. Thanks.

As for the 100% CPU Utilization, I think it has to do with the crazy amount of processes that kick off at the same time.

I have an i7 box at home. Maybe I should try it on that? That thing barely breathes at any given time so it should be interesting.

I've tried trimming down to 2 or three processes, but the thing still sits at 100% usage, looks like an issue with specific machines, will take a closer look when things quieten down again round here. :cry:

This "working for a living" thing is grossly over rated, can I retire now please... yes I know I'm too young, but I wont enjoy it as much when I'm older. :twisted:

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]