Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:15 pm 

Hi

recently we have started to use Open-AudIT on our network and we have an issue with 2 machines. (Both Windowx XP Pro)
ok.....

The audit script is run from a scheduled task on a domain controller with a domain admin acocunt. All PC's audit fine and the software works great - except for 2 machines on our network, they lose all network conectivity, no shares can be accesed, no internet, no EMAIL... nothing the user has to re-boot to fix this issue.

This is what i have found, and now i am stuck.

Invoke the audit from the web interface for the machine in question from that machine. works
invoke the audit from another machine (mine) using the web interface. after 30 secs machine loses all network !

I have noticed that when the script audit is invoked, 2 TCP epmap ports are opened to my machine on the client (using RPC running with svchost.exe)
These ports close after the audit in all cases on all other machines- except on these 2 machines
One of the epmap ports is left open to my machine and this causes failure of all other network connectivity from this point on.

If i run a netstat -b to find the PID of the svchost holding this port open i can use kill.exe to close this port
This causes RPC to fail. and invokes a shutdown
I can abort this with a shutdown -a command
Then the RPC service can be restarted and hey presto... everything works again !!!

why is this happening ?

Once this has been done on the client, a Windows Script Host error appears on my machine

Script c:\Documents and settings\wbou\local settings\temporary internet files\content.IE5\LBG8S8GJ\open-audit-of-CMAN-to-itsupport.domainx.co.uk from-10.126.x.x[1].vbs
Line : 4228
Char: 1
Error : The RPC Server in unavailable
Code : 800706BA
Source:SWbemLocator

A programer in my office has lookd at this (no expert in vbs) but thought this area of the script (line 4228) is trying to look in the registry and maybe has access denied thats why it just hangs ?

I have given all users full admin rights over the PC in question
I have given everyone full access to the registry
I have even channged the user assigned to start the RPC service

still the same.... HELP.. why does this only happen on this machine !!!!

I am new to this product, but will try and provide anymore info if needed... any help apreciated!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:29 am 

99% certain this is an issue with the network card drivers on the affected machines. Update them to the latest version from the manufacturers site, and try again.

Let me know if this fixes the issue.

BTW this should be in the support forum. Also I think there is a similar problem detailed there a while back, and I had a very similar issue with a bunch of identical NICs at one stage.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:03 pm 

Hi

Yeah sorry, noob in the forum, got the post in wrong section.

Right, Its an Asus MB with dual onboard Netgear NIC's, Having trouble with the Asus website downloading new drivers!
So have disabled the NIC's in the BIOS, and installed a good old Intel pro 100 PCI NIC.

However, i stil have the same issue with MS drivers, and the official Intel drivers from the web site.

The 2 machines affected are identical build, so a driver issue seams logical.

have retested forced audit to and from ultiple machine, but still only experiance this problem on these 2, the port does not close, something is hanging / keeping that port open ???

running local audit is ok, and verbos mode runs fine 2 ? (when forced localy)

still stuck !thanks for your help.

warren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Maybe setup the audits locally as a scheduled task, or AT job.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 pm 
Are any events logged in Windows Event Log? Are these systems completely up to date on patches/hotfixes? Do they run any sort of firewall, intrusion detection system, etc?

Is there anything useful in this link: [url]http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/578[/url]?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:44 pm 

99% Sure this is do to Windows Firewall being enabled, if you are auditing remotely offcourse :-)

LDAP: Active Directory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:54 pm 

Hi,

thanks for replies.
I have upgraded as many drivers as posible, but the ASUS web site is constantly busy.
The PC runs XP SP 2, fully patched (WSUS in place)
Windows firewall is definatly disabled, not only is this forced from GPO (we are running a 2003 AD Domain) But i have manually enabled, and disabled the firewall to ensure this. No other sodtware is in place on machines in the Domain that would prevent access.
Users running the process are Domain Admins.

Event viwer shows no info (helpful) so this is a no go.

I can try and set the Audit to run on a shutdown script, as we shutdown all PC's at night, however at present it runs at 12:00 from a scheduled task on a DC.

Thanks Guys

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:22 am 
Do you have an GPOs that limit which executables can be run on the machine, or any other lock down policies?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]