Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:56 am 

I typically don't ever purge systems from Open-Audit because I like to hang on to old systems for historical purposes. The only problem is that all of the home page views and queries contain ALL systems, including old ones, and it sort of gives false results. So I thought that it might be nice to have an opion that will allow you to filter or hide all systems that have not been audited in X days from all views. I was able to manually add the filter to a bunch of the php viewdef files but this was simply just a test and is a manual process. I just grabbed this snippet from the index.php under the show_systems_not_audited section and added to all of the views that I wanted to filter.

[code]AND system_timestamp > '" . adjustdate(0,0,-$days_systems_not_audited) . "000000' ";[/code]

the $days_systems_not_audited obviously works off of the value that is entered in the admin config page in the Display 'Systems Not Audited' on homepage section but again this was just a test.

If we could add a global setting somewhere to turn this filter on or off that would be awesome!

I figured that we could either add it to the left pane under the nav bar or we could add it to the top of each view/query page or, and probably the easiest way, add it to the admin config page, although it would be harder to get at...

I'm think that I might be able to set this up but I just wanted to bounce the idea off of everyone and see if maybe there is a better way of doing this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:56 am 

Just curious if anyone found or would find this useful....?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:45 pm 
Contributor

I would, but it might be better to make this optional e.g. a check box that says do not show systems not audited in the last x days. also i use the manual fields to show location and status of systems, which i guess would also be great to show as an optional filter on all views, e.g. only show systems that are from x location or status is y.

What do you think?

jason

250 Windows workstations (mixed XP and 2000)
5 MACs
Multiple printers, switches, routers, firewalls, and other servers (ESX, AIX etc.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:45 am 

Absolutely optional but the only challenge would be adding this to all views :shock: That would be a lot of work but I don't see a way around it and I'm hoping that someone can prove me otherwise.

I like the idea of the location and system status but I personaly don't like using the manual feilds, to be honest I don't like having to update anything manually. Too many people forget to update this stuff and thats when it becomes inconsistent and an issue. The more that can be automated the better imo.

I discussed mapping a location to network subnet months ago, not that I would expect anything to happen right away, but it's certainly something that would be helpful - [url]http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2569[/url] I started to mess around with it but I just haven't had much time to spend customizing OA lately. You could just add a case statement to audit.vbs for each subnet and location and then just have it written to the DB. At that point we would have to add it to whatever views we wanted and then we could create those filters you mentioned from there. But I guess this is where the query page mentioned in OA2 will come in handy. Show me all systems WHERE location LIKE philadelphia, pa. The map on the other hand would be a bit more work...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:09 am 

Yeah this is a problem for all of us. It can easily be done with clever coding and leveraging frameworks like Mark is doing on OAV2

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]