Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Audit VMware ESX servers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:09 am 
Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering if this is an option coming up? If not I would like to add it to the feature requests please. We have some ESX servers in our environment that I would like to be audited by Open Audit.

If I can assist in anyway please let me know.

I attempted to use the audit_linux.sh script however it does not include the vmkernel. Secondly, wget is not an installed package on ESX. It might be better to audit the Virtual Center system, which would give you the details of all the ESX hosts. VMware API is however in Perl, which I do not have much experience with.

Thanks

Jason

250 Windows workstations (mixed XP and 2000)
5 MACs
Multiple printers, switches, routers, firewalls, and other servers (ESX, AIX etc.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jason,

I would love this to be included, however, I don't have an ESX Server to play with... (I did at my last employer - but not anymore).
So, anyone who would like to have a go at this, please feel free, and post you results.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:02 pm 
Contributor

Hi,

I am more than willing to get this going. I am thinking it would be best to do it on a host basis rather than through VC. It would have to be done similar to audit_linux.sh, except carefully coded for ESX.

1. What information would we like to bring back? Many should be possible by using native VI3 tools, vmkfstools, vmware-cmd.
2. ESX does not have the wget library installed. We need another method to get the resulting data back to the Open Audit server.

Thanks

jsingh

250 Windows workstations (mixed XP and 2000)
5 MACs
Multiple printers, switches, routers, firewalls, and other servers (ESX, AIX etc.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]