Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: request - self-cleaning
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:53 am 
Contributor

What about the ability to have the vbs script clean out of the database if a machine hasn't been audited in XX number of days?

Having 300+ machines is hard to keep up with and if someone leaves or pulls the machine and we re-issue it, the old data is still in the system along with the new data. So if we had the system "auto" clean up the database for systems that haven't been audited in XX number of days that would help keep the auditing correct.

anyone else with me on this?

Post subject: You have my vote
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:22 am 

We have similar issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:28 am 
But then what about laptops that maybe are out in the field for XX days? I would think you would still want historical information (because who knows what happened outside the corporate firewall).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:31 am 

Couldn't it be made into an option?

Keep Forever or Keep for XX days|months|etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:54 pm 

Why not simply add a delete button on the Systems not audited for XX days section of the index page, next to each machine displayed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:29 pm 

This sounds like a good idea but instead of deleting the machine how about just having a status field (perhaps in the system table etc) that can be set to be "Inactive" (or "offline") if the machine is not a laptop and has not been audited in XX days (you could also have a separate setting for laptops). Then just you list only the active machines in Open Audit (or perhaps have a separate section for the Inactive machines). This way the data would still be available for historical purposes etc but inactive machines wouldn't clutter things up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:11 am 
Yes, status is something I would like, ranging from active to decommissioned. My thought is that anything not active wouldn't count towards licensing and perhaps wouldn't show up in the software lists. You probably don't want to delete a machine just because it's not being actively used, as historical data is good (especially if you have one sitting on the shelf for a month and need to see if it's a good fit for a new employee, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:19 am 
Contributor

I like that idea mikeyrb and Kris M :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:59 am 
Contributor

Anybody have a test version they created of this?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:05 am 
Contributor

Anyone ever get this created? I'd still like to see this if possible :-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:06 am 

Sorry, haven't even looked at it? :oops: Been too busy with work, and the SVG and DIA diagram stuff.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:30 am 

I have made some very heavy modifications to my install. But the one that matters here is we have asset tags on all our machines. When they come in from the vendor they are tagged and that information is input into OA which generates barcode labels for the systems. When that system is deployed it is scanned (either by the deployee or during a netowork audit) the system automaticly takes it out if the "hard" inventory and sets it as "soft inventory". When that machine comes back the person bringing it back scans its barcode into OA system which then sets it back to "hard" inventory removes it's data from the system table and adds a record into the "archive" table. And when it is deployed again the who cycle starts over. Sounds like a lot more work than it actually is. But that is how i do it

LDAP: Active Directory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Why not go to Admin -> Delete System ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:22 pm 

Here's a suggestion, on the Systems not audited in the last (X) days on the main (index) page, why not put a Delete button and an Archive button next to the machine.
Delete will kill it from the database, and Archive will set an archived flag, to indicate we don't want to see it in our reports.

Obviously if the machine re-appears in the next audit, the archive flag will be reset. Similarly if we look for the machine using the search button, we can Un-archive it by un-ticking the flag on the system details page

This would require quite a few changes, namely to ALL :shock: of the lists and reports, so they test for archived and either display or don't display.
We also need a change to ALL :shock: of the views to show this flag if appropriate.
Finally we need to change the main page to add the above buttons.

Is this worth doing?

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:57 pm 
Helper

The delete button would be very useful to me. I was just trying to figure out how to do that myself. The only issue for me is that I wouldn't want laptops to be subject to the same rules. Of course if the delete button was added, I could just modify the query a little to list everything but laptops.

How about under Admin --> Delete a System, remove the multiple delete buttons, add a checkbox instead and a days since last audit that we could sort by? You could check all the ones you want deleted, then press a single button at the bottom to delete them all.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next