Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:40 am 

If there was a way to run the Audit script from the Admin Page, it would save a lot of time for because sometimes I'm not at my computer to run the scripts. I already have a schedule task to run the script daily and that works well.

Although, I can't get the "Audit My Machine" to work. My computer is always throwing a script error saying file not found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:48 am 
Yeah, the error it throws is that it can't find the audit.config file. We haven't yet found a good way to implement auditing from the web interface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:11 am 

[quote="mikeyrb"]Yeah, the error it throws is that it can't find the audit.config file. We haven't yet found a good way to implement auditing from the web interface.

What about moving the audit.config data to the DB with a audit.config.php page? Have the script connect to the database to query config and run?

Another idea is direct insertion into the database with audit results. Using IE or XML to a web server seems very inefficient.

David.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:30 am 
Originally Mark wrote it for direct insertion in the DB, but that meant you had to install an ODBC connector on any machine that would execute the audit. Also, direct insertion by the script is potentially dangerous, as it's easier to manage the input server side (check that the data is good, etc). Plus, we would have to write a database insertion method for linux as well as windows, thereby duplicating the code. Not the best idea, imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:25 am 

[quote="mikeyrb"]Originally Mark wrote it for direct insertion in the DB, but that meant you had to install an ODBC connector on any machine that would execute the audit. Also, direct insertion by the script is potentially dangerous, as it's easier to manage the input server side (check that the data is good, etc). Plus, we would have to write a database insertion method for linux as well as windows, thereby duplicating the code. Not the best idea, imo.

Ah cool cool. That makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:38 pm 

Thought for making this work....

We could use the method used by the launcher, to modify the audit.vbs code. We then tell audit.vbs if it has no external audit.config, then use the internal defaults, which would be set by the launcher, and configured from a separate setup screen....

Worth a try? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:13 am 
I kind of think that's overkill. It shouldn't be too hard to have the scripts either on a file share, or in a zip file that you can download and then run. Am I totally wrong on that assessment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:34 am 

[quote="mikeyrb"]I kind of think that's overkill. It shouldn't be too hard to have the scripts either on a file share, or in a zip file that you can download and then run. Am I totally wrong on that assessment?

Not at all...the ability to launch the script from the admin page would be nice but it's not really necessary and probably not worth the time it would take to implement it at the moment (versus fixing bugs and implementing other features).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:45 am 

[quote="mikeyrb"]I kind of think that's overkill. It shouldn't be too hard to have the scripts either on a file share, or in a zip file that you can download and then run. Am I totally wrong on that assessment?

I think it all depends on how you are going to manage the script and security of OA. If you are moving the script to clients in the field to run at startup and submit to a remote OA then there is no need to make changes to the script at this time. (I have not tested this yet *grin* but it is on my wish list in group policy and I have kick the idea around in my brainpan)

If you are going to manage the script from an central server and have the server run your audits you still can use just the script but that requires A> a task or B> Manual login to the server to run the script. Also, if you wish to have interaction with the script for say, jr. engineers that you do not want to have editable access to, you need a frontend to the script.

I currently have some helpdesk staff that I would never give access to the WMI interfaces on remote systems... This leaves me in a bind and requires that I manage the script and audits of the systems in the field. Hence the request of a web frontend.

It's just a idea. I'm more then happy with OA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:12 am 
I'm not really sure how you would implement a web front-end. First of all, linux machines can't directly talk to the WMI implementation on windows. Second, PHP has no code for connecting to WMI.

So, it would be mighty hard to implement this on the web side, short of launching wmic from php and grabbing the output. This would only work on linux.

Internet Explorer can run vbs code, but it would run in the permissions of the user, so it wouldn't help for your technicians.

All I can think of is some kind of service that runs as an administrator user that your technicians can pass computer names which it would then audit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:09 am 

I put the scripts in a network share and run them as a logon script for the domain. Invisible to the user. This works better than I thought it would.

Great software folks!!!!! Thanks!

--

Post subject: Audit My Machine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:18 am 

I was able to get the audit working by commenting out the line that looks to the audit.config and paste the audit.config info into the audit.vbs file. Unfortunately, the newest version doesn't have that option in the admin section.

Anyone know how I can get it back? I currently have a backup of the old code running on my webserver so I can access it. Here is what my audit.vbs looks like:

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
' Open Audit '
' Software and Hardware Inventory '
' Outputs into MySQL '
' (c) Mark Unwin 2003 '
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Dim verbose
Public online
Dim strComputer
Dim mysql
Dim input_file
Dim email_to
Dim email_from
Dim email_failed
Dim email_server
Dim audit_local_domain
Dim local_domain
Dim sql
Dim comment
Dim net_mac_uuid

audit_location = "l"
verbose = "n"
online = "ie"
strComputer = "."
ie_visible = "y"
ie_auto_submit = "y"
ie_submit_verbose = "y"
ie_form_page = "http://********/admin_pc_add_1.php"
input_file = ""
email_to = ""
email_from = ""
email_server = ""
audit_local_domain = "n"
local_domain = "LDAP://"
hfnet = "n"
Count = 0
number_of_audits = 20
script_name = "audit.vbs"
monitor_detect = "y"
printer_detect = "y"
software_audit = "y"
uuid_type = "uuid"

form_total = ""

' Below calls the file audit_include.vbs to setup the variables.
'ExecuteGlobal CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").OpenTextFile("audit.config").ReadAll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:40 am 
Uncomment line 154 of include_menu_array.php:

[code]"60"=>array("name"=>"Audit My Machine", "link"=>"scripts/audit.vbs", "image"=>"images/audit.png", "title"=>"",),[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:00 am 

sweet. thanks! works great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:13 am 

Why dont we.....

Put a default config in the audit.vbs file, and then overwrite it with whatever we discover in audit.config IF THE FILE EXISTS... that would allow us to configure audit.vbs from the web page as per the launch {management}.vbs scripts. It would also allow us to audit from the web page.. we would however have to re-instate the configure audit page in one form or another.. Sounds like a plan :?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next