Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Upgrade from Winventory
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:19 am 
Contributor

Is there a way or are there any plans the develop a way to upgrade a winventory database to open-audIT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:49 am 

It hasn't been discussed officially, and I'm not sure of the extent to which the database has been altered for open-audit.

Depending on how much change has occured the difficulty of this could range from simple to impossible. Mark will know more and perhaps he can comment on that.

~ Anders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:06 am 
It's not very much different. I'd just compare the databases and see, but you might be able to just substitute them.

Post subject: Upgrading
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:11 am 

Last night I did a line by line comparison of the old audit.vbs and the new audit.vbs scripts. (I use a product called "beyond compare" from Scootersoftware.com).

Other than a small number of syntax fixes and correction of some typos the code is almost identical. The way the data is fed to the submissions page has not changed. The format of the collected data has not changed. The specific information has not changed. That leads me to believe that the database is likely identical as well, or at least close.

Some folks asked about the commented code I produced before, I have translated the section headers and comments to the new audit.vbs and will post the entire code below. The only thing that is different from the DISTRIBUTION file is the section headers and comments.

NOTE..... I have not included any corrections in the code that are posted here yet. This is the same code as is currently distributed in the "oa060726" release.

ALSO NOTE.... the display font on this BBS changes the way the code looks, if you cut and paste it into NOTEPAD everything should line up properly.

Mark, I recommend that you adopt this (or a similar) format. It should make is tons easier for other users to read and /or edit the code.

I anyone notes changes I've missed let me know and I'll edit this post to include them. As I find fixes poste I'll also update this. Also if the forum moderator feels it appropriate, feel free to relocate this to another more appropriate thread.

KcmJr

[mikeyrb: let's get that posted somewhere else, because it got cut off anyway]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:19 am 
The best thing may be to email that to Mark. And make sure if you find bugs, post them so we can patch the file on svn!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:56 am 

mikeyrb.....

I did email it Mark. I understand that he has a real job to go to each day and that this is a side project, but I never heard a word back about it.

(also Mark should you read this I decided you were right and dropped the idea of adding Excel export code to the script...)

Odd that the code got cut off, the preview looked OK. Oh well. What I'll do to keep the versions from skewing is to post the text file on my web site later tonight with a disclaimer that it's not an official release. I'll add the URL here at that time.

Also my point about bugs was not to make the posted code the spot for bugfixes, I was just going to try to keep up to date. I have no desire to start a seperate code line, I'd rather see some structure included in the distribution file. Although.... now that I think about it, it makes a certain amount of sense to have the VB script posted here somewhere as a master file with all current updates. Might be worth mentioning to Mark...

KcmJr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:08 am 
It's in svn, so you can see the current state, plus diff's between any revision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:32 am 

I've seen that term "svn" noted before but I'm not sure what it is. Any chance you could elaborate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:40 am 

svn = subversion

It's a version control suite, it lets us keep track of changes made, safely make changes, and mitigate the many problems of sharing source amoungst many developers.

you can read about it on the sourceforge page or here are a few links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_%28software%29
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
http://subversion.tigris.org/

~ Anders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:41 am 
SVN stands for subversion. You should be able to google that. Here's our svn repository: [url]http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/open-audit/[/url], or at least a web interface for it. You can find a link and instructions on how to check out the source at sourceforge.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]