Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:12 pm 

I get listed multiple processors for machines having hyper-threading procs. It is kind of annoying.
Anything to do about it?
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:14 pm 

Windows and Linux discover those as two independent processors. I don't know, how we can/should change this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:09 am 
Contributor

I don't think we should change it. We'd need to have a large list of every CPU and list if it has hyper-threading, if it's dual or quad core, or just a plain CPU. I think there are too many CPUs to keep up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:42 am 

We will be able to detect hyperthreading processors in Vista but nothing before (although this hasn't been coded yet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:09 am 
Contributor

I'm curious to see what everyone's opinion is. Would you consider a dual-core chip one or two CPUs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:13 am 
Well, technically speaking, for auditing purposes it is one piece of hardware. Physical inventory says one dual-core processor. Now if you were looking at performance, it is two processors. So I think it is best if treated as one unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:11 pm 
Helper

well, I think a dual-core cpu is one piece of hardware, but acts like two cpus. so it should be shown as two cpus.
but standars hyper-threading cpus are one cpu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:36 pm 

[quote="glampe"]I'm curious to see what everyone's opinion is. Would you consider a dual-core chip one or two CPUs?

It is both.... one physical device, two logical devices. For the purposes of auditing it is also .. both, since we are looking for system information, rather than auditing ONLY physical devices, after all we can have a keyboard with 101 keys or 102, but we don't really need to know what the keys are, just that that is what we have.

Be concerned when your hyperthreading CPU shows as only one CPU, 'cos either the OS is not set up correctly or the CPU is stuffed. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:53 am 

I think its best to be left that as is. Each proc being seen and treated as seperate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:36 pm 

[quote="jdamian"]I think its best to be left that as is. Each proc being seen and treated as seperate.

Why not allow user to choose what he would like to see?
For me personaly a glance on Proc statistics shows me how far I am with the replacing of old computers.
Let's say I have 60 computers and 30 of them are hyper-threaded. It would show me that I have 60 Pentium 4, 3.0GHz procs ...

For the purpose of inventorying the assets of the company would be much nicer to have a single proc listed for single proc desktopos since CEO doesn't care about hyper-threading or dual-core. One comp, on proc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:39 pm 

[quote="mazupan"][quote="jdamian"]I think its best to be left that as is. Each proc being seen and treated as seperate.

Why not allow user to choose what he would like to see?
For me personaly a glance on Proc statistics shows me how far I am with the replacing of old computers.
Let's say I have 60 computers and 30 of them are hyper-threaded. It would show me that I have 60 Pentium 4, 3.0GHz procs ...

For the purpose of inventorying the assets of the company would be much nicer to have a single proc listed for single proc desktopos since CEO doesn't care about hyper-threading or dual-core. One comp, on proc.

Most modern procs hyperthread, so really what I look at when thinking whats for the chop is the speed of the processor and the type, and whether I can squeeze more ram in the box.

The latter usually has a more dramatic effect on performance than the former incidentally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:01 pm 
Contributor

I ran across this myself when I was writing my own stats page. I used the following query to basically discard additional processors in a multi-processor system.

[code]"SELECT processor_name, COUNT(*) cnt FROM (SELECT DISTINCT system.system_uuid, processor.processor_name FROM processor INNER JOIN system ON system.system_uuid=processor.processor_uuid) As t GROUP BY processor_name ORDER BY $sort $order";
[/code]

This worked on the assumption that the processors in each multi-processor system were identical and therefore additional processors were discarded from the result set. I had an option to switch between this "per System" view of the stats and the standard OpenAudit "per Processor" view.

Personally, I find the former more useful.

Cheers, Nick.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]