Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:12 am 

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, so forgive me if I am in the wrong place.

We recently installed Open-AudIT and I have just noticed that all the keys for MS Windows XP Professional are exactly the same. We currently have 30 clients audited with this OS installed and each one has the same key.

These clients are all Dell machines and came with the OS pre-loaded. However, I have re-installed on some of them since they were obtained. They were not all installed at the same time.

The key listed against all 30 client OS's does not appear in our manual records at all and I believe we have no XP Pro install with the stated key.

I checked out all your forums before posting this but could only find one reference to a similar problem and that did not contain a solution or indication of where the problem stems from.

Any help would be much appreciated. If you need any further information, please ask.

Thanks,

Laura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:16 am 

First I would download another keyfinder (google for xp keyfinder) and try on a couple of your pc's.

Check if they say that the PC's are using the same code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:21 am 

Also make sure you have the most recent version of OpenAudIT..
I have several XP keys.... so I dont have the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:53 am 

Many thanks for the suggestions. I will try these and let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:42 am 
My thought is that that would be as expected. I think many of the major manufacturers use the same key for every install (much simpler for them). So even though you have a license key on the outside, chances are that's not the one used for the install.

My guess on the reinstalls was that you were not asked for a license key? If so, that would support what I said above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:28 am 

Hi

Thanks very much for the feedback.

I downloaded another keyfinder and sure enough all the keys are the same with this one as well.

I suspect, as you suggested, some Dell / MS interference with the keys. One point though, when I reinstalled, I did have to enter the product key again to activate the software. However this does not mean that this is the key that is stored in the registry or that it was not changed during activation, etc.

For the moment I will continure to keep a manual record of the real product activation keys and let this excellent software take care of the rest.

I'm not sure what the convention is for marking a bug as 'Not a Bug' here. Can you let me know and I will do so.

Thanks again for all your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:36 am 

Glad you got to the bottom of it. I will mark this as Fixed..

8)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]