Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:07 am 

I'm pretty new to OA. Running OpenAuditReleaseCandidate.09.03.17. I'm very impressed -- a few things aren't pulling info but overall very cool and useful.

I'm looking for ideas on the best way to schedule audits every night on roughly 150 Windows machines (mostly XP, a handful of 7, and a few Server 2003) (in 32 different locations in 5 different states). They are not connected to a Domain, they are setup as Workgroup/Homegroup computers with no VPN, so each location acts as an independent network.

So far I've setup about 20 of them -- manually downloading the script and scheduling the audit overnight using XP Task Scheduler. It's working okay, but the manual setup is very cumbersome -- there has to be a better way. I also have a couple worries.

Worry #1 -- I'm afraid of server overload. I've been staggering the audit schedule by 5 minutes for each machine, so the server is only receiving info from one machine every 5 minutes.

Worry #2 -- What happens if/when the audit script is updated or changes? Then I will have to manually log onto each computer (again) and download the new script.

I'm looking for ideas on how to better automate this task and make it possible to update and push out the updated script somehow.

One idea is to use SyncBack. With SyncBack you can schedule a time to push files onto the computer from an FTP server. From there I could also push a file for the log on script -- encase I need to run scripts to enable/disable OpenAudIT features, etc. Inside the log on script there could be a script that would check to see if the scheduled task for audit.vbs exists. If it doesn't exist, then it could add the scheduled task.

Of course I would probably need some help creating the log on script as I don't have much experience with coding. And that doesn't address the possibility of server overload.

My question, how do other IT people handle this dilemma? Is there a better solution? Do you think my solution could work consistently?

Thanks! OpenAudIT is awesome.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]