Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:56 am 

Well it finally happened, my ancient OpenAudit host windows PC died, and I decided to use the opportunity to replace it with a Linux box.

It looked quite easy, especially since I decided to use Ubuntu, probably the easiet OS in the world to install.

Everything went as expected, I installed 9.10 and Apache, MySQL, PHP and the PHP Ldap extensions. I also set up SAMBA, and shared out the web folder to my Windows network.

I restored the old htdocs - openaudit folder, set up Tortoise SVN to ensure there were no updates required, and restored the MySQL database.

All looked just fine, until I went to log in.. I see the login OK, but obviously the LDAP settings are different under Linux, 'cos I cant log in. :shock:

If I switch off ldap login ($use_ldap_login = 'n'; in include_config) then openaudit is working fine, however all of the ldap stuff is broken.

All of the old ldap connections have restored, and all of the ldap config options are as they were previously, therefore before I don my Sherlock Homes hat, and spend the afternoon sleuthing, I thought I'd ask if anybody else had seen the issue, or indeed had ldap working from linux to Active Directory. If so, whats the secret?

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:48 am 

:oops: ... well its always the simple things isn't it.

Seems that I can't nslookup local resources on my Windows 2003 DNS servers from my Linux box. It will allow me to look up google etc, but says SERVER FAIL for any local names... Windoze security probably, as the Linux box is not part of the domain.

I have worked around this by changing the machine names to IP addresses in the config, and it all seems to be working now.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:39 am 
Contributor

If you go from Windows to Linux or vice-versa, you will need to enter in the username/passwords in the LDAP connections again because the AES keys used to encrypt it will be different between the two.

Also, if you're having name resolution issues check your /etc/resolv.conf file. It should have the domain to search and the IP addresses of your DNS servers. If it doesn't look right, make sure it looks something like so ...

[code]
domain mydomain.com
search mydomain.com
nameserver 192.168.1.2
nameserver 192.168.1.3
[/code]

LDAP: Active Directory 2008 R2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:31 am 
Contributor

[quote="Chad"]If you go from Windows to Linux or vice-versa, you will need to enter in the username/passwords in the LDAP connections again because the AES keys used to encrypt it will be different between the two.

Not just between Windows and Linux - moving between any two systems will require the usernames/passwords updating.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows Server 2003 / Apache 2
Auditing: 1600 Workstations, 200 Servers
OS's: Windows XP / Windows 2000 / Windows 2003 Server / Windows Vista

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:24 am 

[quote="NickBrown"][quote="Chad"]If you go from Windows to Linux or vice-versa, you will need to enter in the username/passwords in the LDAP connections again because the AES keys used to encrypt it will be different between the two.

Not just between Windows and Linux - moving between any two systems will require the usernames/passwords updating.

Yeah your right not just between windows and Linux - moving between any two systems will require the user names/passwords updating

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:08 am 

That statement is untrue. When migrating users from a linux to linux all you need to do is copy the passwd shadow groups and gpshadow over to the new box. I originally thought it would not work as well, but there are many migration guides on the net and I have followed them successfully.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]